chapter 4

Last chapter:” Ok" Alekh stated, sounding a little convinced. "One piece of this puzzle is the letter, let's have a look at that." He added.  I got up to get the letter when someone knocked at my door. "Cadet, who is there? Open this door right now" It was Lolita ma'am and my last thought was we are so dead'

Chapter 4

“Guys get out” Pooja whisper screamed at the guys while Lolita Ma’am continued to bang the door as if she was ready to break it down. “Yudi, stop moving like a turtle and got” Pooja again whisper screamed.

I walked to the door, messing up my hair, while Poja sat on her bed, covered in her blanket. 

“Ma’am any problem” I questioned opening the door. There stood Subedar Major Lolita Sen, in her typical pose, hands folded across her chest, a strict look on her face and fire of anger in her eyes.

“What took you so long to open the door, Cadets?” She inquired, as she stepped inside the room, with me following her.

“Ma’am, we had put ourselves in sleep mode and so we could not hear the door ringing.” Pooja said.

“Come again Cadet” Lolita ma’am asked, folding her hands. No matter how long we have been here, Lolita ma’am still couldn’t understand Pooji’s language so I stepped in and translated “Ma’am, Pooja means to say that  we were sleeping so we could not hear the door.”

“Cadet a soldier should be a light sleeper.” She said stepping toward the open window. Pooja and I held our breaths while she bend down and picked up something. She turned back toward us and in her hand was Yudi’s watch.

“This watch belongs to cadet Yudi, Right?” she asked us even though she already knew the answer. We both nodded in positive. “And how did it up here at this hour?” She inquired further.

“Ma’am Yudi had come to deliver a text in the afternoon, so he might have dropped it than.” Pooja tried persuade, in a very non persuasive voice.

“Really cadet, because as far as I remember, I had done your routine room check this evening, right before lights out. I am hundred percent sure that this watched wasn’t there. Now, if Cadet Sahni was here during the afternoon, than how did his watch disappear during the evening?” Lolita ma’am said, with confidence of victory in her voice. Pooja and I looked down, knowing we were caught. Lolita ma’am headed toward and the door and stepped outside. Before closing the door she said “Be grateful I am not reporting this to Brig. Chandok. I want all 6 of you to report to the main hall tomorrow at 9 hundred hours.” With that she was going. Without saying another word pooja and I wanked toward our bed and tried to sleep.

Next morning Pooja, Ali, Huda, Akekh, Yudi and I stood in in line as we waited for Lolita ma’am to come.

“Naina, stop can you at least tell us why we are standing here when we are supposed to be in Lolita ma’am history class?” Alekh questioned.

“Yeah chief, Quite making suspense and just tell us.” Yudi chirped in.

“Nothing to worry about Cadet Sahni, I just wanted to return you watch” Lolita ma’am walked toward Yudi, with his watch in her hand. Yudi took the watch and asked “Thanks Ma’am, but how do you have my watch?”

 “Aah, Cadet don’t worry. I didn’t steal it. I found it in Cadet Ghai and Cadet Singh’s room, when you were there after lights out” She said with fake sweetness in her voice.

“Madam ji, the...”Huda started to say but was cut off with Lolita ma’am’s scolding.

“Enough Cadet. I am not here to listen to your reasons or your excuse. I am here to give you your punishments and that it what I will do.” She said and pointed toward Alekh and me. “Cadet Singh and Cadet Sharma, you two will help with the mess and cooking today, and the rest of you will clean this entire academy. Cristal.” She said.