19. midnight murderer

Eden Salvatore

She had her head on my chest, hand in my hair and another arm draped across my torso. I pulled her closer inhaling the sweet scent of winter roses. She was warmth like summer. Adalina fit perfectly into me. Her tiny body felt perfect on my skin. Now this had to be the best way to die, with her in my arms.

Because hell was awaiting me. I woke up with a knife pressing against my throat.

I could feel the cold silver blade cutting slowly but affectively through my veins. The killer knew which vein to cut alright. I doubted I would still be alive in the next five minutes. I tilted my head down to look at the dripping blood as it fell onto her cheek. My wife slept like the dead. I bet she could sleep through a whole tornado or perhaps a tsunami.

" Beautiful, isn't she? " my midnight murderer asked. I snapped my head up by the sound of his deep voice.

" My ghost will come back and kill you if she wakes up. Don't make a fucking sound. " I hissed

His silver hair was almost icy white under the moonlight and dimmed lit lamp. I looked at him dead in his midnight black eyes, they were almost as black as his soul. I knew that sculpture porcelain face anywhere even when he hid it under a pathetic excuse of a black mask. I punched that face.

" Aleksander Beckett. " I scoffed while I gently rolled the duty out of my grasp and laid her head on the couch.

His eyes widened for second before he scrunched up his eyebrows in annoyance as he sighed under his breath. " Damn it. I was hoping you wouldn't recognize me. "

" What the hell are you doing here, Ace? " I cocked an eyebrow at him.

Aleksander Beckett, the best assassin in the game. His birth mother named him Ace, short for Aleksander, because he aced in the art of murdering. People shivered at his name. Everyone in the underworld knew he was the best youngest killing machine. He killed with a smile on his face and chuckled at your pain. Our family adored him, my mother called him her adopted son. He was family.

" I was paid to kill the crowned princess. " he shrugged, taking his mask off.

Elliot was going to be thrilled when I sent him a message from hell telling him his best mate was back in town to kill his sister in law and his twin brother died protecting her.

" Then why the fuck are you slitting my throat in my sleep? " I sighed.

" Shit. Sorry, my bad. " he gave me an innocent smile before pulling the blade away.

I got up and kicked his face. Spitting out his blood, he grinned at me through his bloodstain teeth and threw me a punch. His fist hit me square in my jaw. The sound of my own bone cracking rang inside my ears when he silently jumped forward holding his knife out. I caught his famous weapon by its blade and twisted it back toward his abdomen. The little shit cut through my palm and it stung like a bitch.

He chuckled when the point of his own blade pierced into his side. I pushed harder until it was half way into his stomach. He looked at me in amusement as I dropped my hand and stepped back.

The fucker grinned as he twisted the knife around then took it out. He pressed the blade to his mouth before muttering, " Be quiet. "

I twisted my torso back to see what was he referring to. My heart almost dropped from my ribcage when the bloodied knife flew past my ear and directed toward her. I didn't realize I was holding my breath until the knife hit the couch just an inch above her head.

" It's nice to be back, brother. " he chuckled, pulling me into a bro hug. Fucking asshole.

Ace leaned against the door frame of our closet with his arms crossed over his chest as he watched me stitched my throat back together. I glared at him through the mirror and he mouthed me another apology. I shot him another unamused looks which made him sighed.