31. stupid little heart

Adalina Salvatore

The crown felt heavy sitting on top of my head. My hair was slicked back into an elegant low bun and I demanded the few loose strands falling down my face. I stood in front of the mirror of my chamber and the girl looking back at me was the crowned princess of England.

I looked sad, like I didn't belong.

Slipping my gloves on, I shivered as the cold silk wrapped around tightly my skin. I was dressed in pure white tonight. A one shoulder dress with a slit cut so high up and a synched in waist line that hugged my curves like the gloves itself.

The side of my lips quirked up at the new sight coming from behind my back. The prince in all his glory, looking as handsome as the devil. His eyes swept down my body through the mirror then up and down again before he finally met my eyes.

" You look dashing, my prince. " I beamed.

He walked forward and stood right behind me. His eyes, blue and focused on my face. We were standing so close that I felt his warm breath brushing past the back of my neck sending a string of shivers down my spine.

The smile fell off my face and my breath was gone just when he leaned closer, eyes closed and nose barely touched my skin as he teasingly ran it along the line of my neck.

" I don't have to wear a crown, do I? Because I would rather die. " he whispered, hoarse voice and all.

The ground beneath my feet was shaking and my head was spinning. Damned the power he had over me. I only managed to answer him after a few seconds of self control, " You don't have to. "

" You look like a snowball. " he hummed.

I brought my gloved hand up and pushed his face away, chuckling softly at him. " I don't know how to feel about that information. "

He opened his eyes again. A small amused grin surpassed his lips. " I have something for you. "

With that he dug into the his slacks pocket and pulled out a small velvet box. If he was any other man, I would be expecting diamond. But, he was Eden Salvatore and who knew what was in that man's head.

A small silver chain hovered above my head then around my neck as he clipped it in place. I stared blankly at the white lego piece hanging in the middle of the chain, lost for word and my heart melted into mush. Damn him. Adorable piece of shit.

" It makes a stupid little heart. " he said, pulling his own chain from under his dress shirt.

Grabbing my shoulders, he swirled me around to face him and placed the matching pendant of his chain on mine and together the pieces made a small heart.

I died a little inside.

" You're romantic tonight. " I murmured under my breath, twirling the pendant between my fingers.

Eden cocked an eyebrow at me, " It's a tracker. "

" Shush. Don't ruin my moment. " I grumbled and he shook his head slightly.

" Ready to face this stupid world we live in Adalina, darling? " he asked.

Moment broke into two and ruined beyond repair. I mentally cursed in my head.

" Bet. " I chuckled nervously in response, a million thing that could go wrong ran through my bloodstream and straight to my brain.

Enchanting musics played among the sea of chatters. The ballroom was widely opened allowing cold wind at night to come through. People dressed in their best tux and colorful gowns, their laughters filled the air and the cheery looks on their faces lightened up the place like the morning sun.