46. match made in hell

Adalina Salvatore

I was a dead woman walking for the last two weeks. Ceasing to exist, almost. Everyone was dead but everything was so alive in my head and it was killing me inside.

I hated this place and these people which was a fucking inconvenience because my coronation was only days away and the crown was practically being slammed in my face every hours of the day, mocking my whole existence.

The black dress hugged my curves like a bloody soul sucker. It did feel like it. I always thought my parents were going to outlive me. God, I was wrong. So wrong. They were not supposed to leave me so soon. Father was going to place the crown my head while mother stood beside him smiling at us. Reality sucked ass.

I tipped my head back as I chugged my last sip of scotch whiskey praying it would wash away the grief and the hole in my chest.

" You promised, darling. That's enough. " my husband grumbled behind me then took away the bottle from my hand.

I turned my head back to drink in his sight for the first time today. A half irritated scowl painted across his handsome face, ironic how he was the only sunshine in my life at the moment.

I traced my finger on his sharpened jawline, smiling when I should be crying salty tears. I remembered our conversation last night where I promised and solemnly swore with all the cheeseburgers in the world that it would be my last unhappy day.

No more tears and no more hurting myself.

The bastard looked at me dead in the eyes while he fucked the demons straight out of my brain and demanded I forgot whatever dark thoughts I had in my stupidly pretty head because he wasn't going to let me leave him alone in this miserable world and that I was stuck with him forever.

Eden Salvatore was my rock and the only good thing in my life. He proved that with the sleepless nights he spent holding me against his chest as I cried for my parents and for everything bad that had happened to me. He listened and whispered sweet little insults in my ears.

I was breaking and he was really to break with me.
The love of my fucking life, I told you.

There was something about my tears that sliced through his nonexistent soul. I felt him flinching back every times my body shook as I choked on my own sobs but he didn't once tell me it made him uncomfortable. He was just, there and it was more enough.

I remembered the night I completely broke down. Thrashing and sobbing in our bed before I decided I couldn't take it anymore. I wanted to feel something other than the horrible cold emptiness. So, I turned to my good old blade. Hurting myself to feel pain, I had always been good with pain. It was simple math. Until I saw the looks on his face when he stumbled into the bathroom a second before the blade cut into my skin. I never wanted to see that looks again. Guilt tore my inside right out.

He looked at me like I had just shoved a dagger straight into his heart like his whole world was crumbling apart and I was the sole reason behind it. Tears threatened to pour out of my eyes when he stalked forward and snatched the blade away. His next words carved in my heart forever.

" If you want to hurt yourself, you might as well kill me too. Do you want to die? Let's fucking die together then. "

I love you. I love you. I chanted in my head. I love you, my hooker prince.

Then I just stopped. I didn't need any other reason. My existence was a mere wind flying through to pass time but the world needed Eden Salvatore.

" Where are you, Adalina darling? " his soft whisper startled me. He stroked my cheek, pulling me back from my thoughts.

I took his hand from my face and kissed his knuckles. " Home, with you. "