24. rythms beneath my flesh

Adalina Salvatore

The palace was cursed. I tossed my breakfast around the plate with a grim expression on my face as I wondered who they truly were when no one was looking.

They said blood was thicker than water but right now it didn't feel like it. I glanced around the table, looking at the masks they put on. Sweet talks filled my ears like a never ending song and their wicked grins followed everywhere I went. I hurt my head trying to decide between the good and bad. My chest tightened as the suffocation erupted inside me making it difficult to breath.

Eden cleared his throat and my hand stilled as my forked stopped in the middle of my plate. I turned my gaze toward him finally snapping out of my daze. He looked at me for a moment then he abruptly stood up without excusing himself. I raised an eyebrow at him and he sighed before leaning to my level.

" Important surgery. I have to go. " he said quietly but I was sure everyone heard it.

His voice only got lower when his lips slightly brushed my earlobe. I shivered under him and breathed in the sweet scent of his skin inches from mine.

" Try not to die Adalina, darling. "

My heart stopped just for a second as I tried to process what was happening. He had so much power over me and he didn't even know it. I blinked twice before exhaling sharply. I didn't know when he pulled away but when I finally regained my consciousness again he was already walking through the double door of the dining hall, leaving the space he was in a second ago empty and cold.

I ignored their burning gazes on my face and I reached for my glass of water, feeling the heat of my blood creeping up my cheeks that no doubts were turning crimson red.

" He has no manners at all. " my uncle huffed, shaking his head in disbelief.

I felt the butterflies in my stomach faded away and the warmth feeling of fire inside my chest went up and replaced by an iceberg, turning my whole body cold.

" We must do something about the prince. This behavior is unacceptable. " he continued and I gripped onto the knife I was holding.

I never wanted him to be normal. I didn't want him to change at all. He didn't have to, not for them and not for anyone else. They had no rights deciding who he should and shouldn't be.

He was always my heartless asshole before he was a prince.

" That ignorant jerk. He acts like he's above all of us when he is nothing but a low life bastard. Who does he think he is? " he added and a few people nodded, agreeing with him.

I threw the knife I was holding at him. Leaning my back into my chair, I watched his face paled as the knife flew past his face. The silver blade cut through his cheek before falling onto the ground. He looked at me with wide eyes as blood dripped down his face, following by the gasps that came from his wife who was sitting beside him.

The room became five times smaller and the air tensed like all the oxygen in the world had gone out. Nobody uttered a single word as they stared between the duke and I in anticipation.

" He is my husband and your future king. You do not disrespect him in front of me or anyone at all. " I muttered, looking at him in the eyes.