Chapter 3

Sophie's P.O.V.

"What in the world...?" As soon as the door had burst open and someone rode their roller skates in with another person on their back, I just knew it had to be Keefe and Marella. I mean, who else would be crazy enough to try this? 

"Is that... Keefe and Marella?" Dex asked, shocked and confused. Keefe was on the bottom, the one riding the roller skates, which I found confusing since I had no idea Keefe could even ride a bicycle. He was wearing this gold, sparkly button-up shirt with black jeans, and Marella was matching, wearing a spaghetti-strap crop top in the same shade with the same jeans. And of course, she had a matching golden scrunchie holding her hair up in a stylish, wavy, high ponytail. Overall, this entire act was definitely chosen to get as much attention as possible. 

"Wow, that's... Really cool!" Linh exclaimed. "How is she balancing on top of that guy?" Dex shrugged.

"I have no idea, honestly." 

I added, "They do these sorts of... Crazy stunts for a living. They're actually quite famous, you know?" 

"Big deal," Tam grumbled. Linh nudged her brother in the side.

"Imagine if we did that!" Tam shook his head.

"We are not doing that. I repeat, not doing that. I would like to live for at least another few years." 

"Uh, as amusing it would be to watch that, I think you need a lot of training to do this kind of stuff," I informed. Keefe and Marella went on to do some other crazy stunts I thought would surely land them in the hospital, but they reached our table eventually, completely unharmed. 

"What's up?" Keefe took off his rollerblades and sat down, a little out of breath. "Have you guys ordered food yet? I'm very hungry." 

Marella rolled her eyes, replying," When are you ever not hungry?" Keefe smiled.

"Very rarely." Marella laughed and took a seat next to Keefe, taking a look at the menu. 

"What is wrong with this menu?" she asked after some time. "What's with the fancy language?" 

"See? Told you, Dex!" Dex simply sighed and told us to quickly order. 

"Just pick something." I rolled my eyes. 

"I can't just pick something," I replied in a matter-of-factly way. "What if I choose something that I don't like?" Dex shrugged.

"Then you'll know not to order it next time." 

"There won't be a next time," I murmured. 

"Why don't you get a salad?" Linh suggested. "Everyone loves salad!" Tam scoffed, and I had to agree with him.

"I don't particularly like salads," I answered. 

"Sophie, I mean, you look great, but if you never eat a salad, your inside whatever will probably go terrible," Marella said, between bites of dinner rolls. She was always one to be blunt. But I suppose she had a point... 

"Fine, fine," I gave in. "I'll order it. If I can even find it in this unreadable font," I added under my breath. I squinted my eyes, trying to make more sense of the words, but it still wasn't any better. "Someone just order for me, okay? I give up trying to read this!" Food should NOT be this difficult to acquire. 

"Okay," Linh cheerfully agreed. "I'll order something great for you, Sophie!" I nodded uncertainly, letting my thoughts wander now that I didn't have to order something from that awful menu. My eyes glanced around the room, trying to take everything in. The tables were all so grand and covered in white tablecloths. I wondered if they were so rich they could throw out the tablecloths if there was even the slightest smudge on them. Or perhaps they washed it. Maybe it was like a thermometer. I would never use the same one twice for different patients unless I thoroughly sterilized it or just used a new one. Although maybe this isn't the right thing to be thinking about right now, I thought, turning slightly queasy. 

I looked in the direction of a table where the siblings who had come in earlier had decided to sit, and for a split second, I locked gazes with the handsome boy. I quickly glanced away, turning red. Good going, Sophie. You haven't even eaten one bite of food and you've already embarrassed yourself! I sighed and focused on anything else. But I couldn't help think about how all my friends were in such happy relationships. But perhaps that just wasn't for me. The one time I tried, the guy cheated on me, so I figured, who needs that? I was perfectly happy on my own and with my friends. Nothing more. 

And I really hoped that was true.