Chapter 12

Sophie's P.O.V.

"Hello? Who is this?" I asked into the phone. We had just finished dinner and were now grouped outside the restaurant when I had received this call from a random number. 

"Sophie!" the caller exclaimed. "It's you!" 

"Uhh..." I covered the microphone in my phone. "Do any of you guys know who this is?" I asked my friends. I showed them the number but nobody had a clue. Either it was someone I hadn't received a call from in a long time or a random stranger who happened to know my name. 

"Sorry, I think you have the wrong number. Bye!" 

"WAIT! Sophie! It's me, Biana! Please don't hang up!" I froze and leaned in closer to the phone. 

"Biana?" I asked. "How do you have my number?" 

"I looked it up!" she answered. Right, I thought, my website. Dex had set up a website for my vet clinic when I had first opened it and it really helped my business start growing. 

"Um, if I may, why did you not come to dinner?" I asked hesitantly. 

"Oh, I was in jail," Biana replied casually. "But we really did want to come!" 

"Huh. I see. So- WAIT A SECOND. You were in jail?" I exclaimed. "How did that happen?" 

"Who's in jail?" Linh asked urgently. 

"The person Sophie's talking to. Brianna or Bianca or something," Marella replied. 

"Biana," Dex corrected. "She and her brother were supposed to come to dinner tonight." 

"I can't believe they bailed," Marella scoffed. 

"They didn't bail," I informed everyone. "Biana was in jail.

"She was?" Tam asked. "What for?" 

"Um... Why did you get arrested?" I asked into the phone, hoping it wasn't a touchy subject. But Biana didn't seem to mind at all. 

"Oh, apparently I 'shoplifted' but it was just a misunderstanding," Biana explained. "But let me just tell you how much Fitz wanted to be there. I mean, even after they released me, all he could talk about was how we missed the dinner." I blushed, thinking about it, but it probably wasn't because he wanted to see me or anything. They were both probably just excited to make some more friends. 

"Okay, well, thanks for letting me know," I told Biana. "Is that all?" 

"Oh, no!" Biana exclaimed. "There's much more. So since we missed dinner, I figured we could make up for it by hanging out on Saturday!" 

"That sounds fun," I responded. "Let me just check with my friends." I made sure to cover the receiver of the phone again to make sure she wouldn't overhear this conversation. It was likely that with my friends, any conversation could take a really weird turn.  

"Biana wants to know if we can hang out together tomorrow," I told my friends. "Are you guys free?" 

"No, as a matter of fact, I am not free," Tam informed us. Linh raised an eyebrow skeptically. 

"Since when do you have plans?" she asked. Tam scoffed.

"I have plans," he protested. 

"Sure, sulk all day in a dark room wearing black clothes," Keefe said sarcastically. 

"Hey, that is not my plan!" Tam exclaimed. "I was actually planning on wearing gray tomorrow. It's supposed to be hot." 

"Uh... It's the middle of winter," Marella said. 

"I'm very used to the cold," he replied. 

"Yes, like your soul," Keefe murmured. I rolled my eyes. 

"Guys, I just need a yes or a no," I told them. "Biana is waiting on the phone." 

"We're in!" Linh exclaimed. And when Tam started to protest, she covered it up with some more talking. 

"I guess we're in, too," Marella decided. "We've got nothing better to do." I turned to Dex. 

"And you?" I asked. Dex shrugged. 

"Sounds fine to me," he replied. 

"Great," I said, turning back to the phone. "We're in!" I told Biana. 

"Ooh, awesome!" she exclaimed. "Meet us at the main mall at 11 o'clock." 

"We'll be there," I responded. "Bye!" 

"Bye!" Biana echoed, before ending the call. Tam sighed. 

"How early must we be there?" he asked, exasperated. 

"11 o'clock," I answered. Linh squealed, jumping up and down in excitement

"Perfect!" she exclaimed. "Everyone look nice so we can make a good impression on Biana and her brother!" 

"Why bother?" Tam muttered. Linh rolled her eyes and took her brother's hand, skipping away. 

"Okay... Um, see you tomorrow I guess," Marella said with a wave. The rest of us also left to our own apartments, but not before Dex pulled me aside. 

"What's up?" I asked him. Dex looked around nervously and his ears turned a shade redder. 

"Um, well, uh..." he murmured. "How... How do you know if it's time to... To marry someone?" 

I laughed at the thought of my best friend asking me for love advice. I mean, I didn't even have a boyfriend! 

"Come on, Sophie, help me out here," Dex pleaded. I gradually stopped laughing and responded to his question to the best of my abilities.

"Well, I wouldn't exactly know since I've never been in such a situation, but... If I had to guess, I'd say listen to your heart. If you think you're ready for that next step, then go ahead!"

"Huh," Dex replied. "For someone who knows nothing about love, that was pretty good advice." I grinned. 

"So are you thinking of proposing to Linh?" I teased. Dex turned even redder than I could possibly imagine. 

"...I don't know. Maybe? She just... I just... I'm not sure if I'll ever find someone as great as her." I had to admit Linh and Dex were pretty cute together. They complimented each other well and I always thought they brought out the best in the other. 

"Well, if you do, I will definitely be there," I informed Dex. "I mean, at the wedding, not during the proposal. That would be weird, wouldn't it?" Dex chuckled and shook his head. 

"A little," he told me. "Well, thanks for your help. Hopefully, everything goes well. I'll see you tomorrow!" I gave him a reassuring hug before heading towards my own apartment. It was so wonderful Dex was thinking of getting married. We were practically family, and if he married Linh, we would practically be sisters! Well, I wasn't sure if that was exactly how it worked, but it was a nice thought. 

Then I sighed, realizing my own predicament. I was so happy for Dex, but the thought of him getting married... It just sort of made me realize that I figured at age 26, I'd at least have someone to think about getting married to. But I had no one. It was... Well, I didn't know the word for it. Perhaps disappointing? I just hoped I'd find that special someone one day. Preferably soon, but it didn't even have to be that soon. I'd be satisfied just knowing I would find someone who loved me. Eventually.