Chapter 20

Marella's P.O.V.

Keefe and I were definitely going to win this competition too. Well, I wasn't sure if it exactly counted as a competition, but I was just going to assume it was. And everything was going perfectly fine... Till it wasn't. 

"Throw it up," Lyssie instructed everyone. 

"What does she mean by that?" Keefe asked me. 

"I think she means... to throw it up," I told him. 

"Like, throw up?" Keefe asked. 

"What? Of course not! Don't throw up your breakfast, just throw the pizza dough up in the air!" Lyssie came walking over. 

"Everything going alright here?" she asked us. 

"Everything is perfectly-" Keefe interrupted me by throwing the pizza dough in the air. 

"Excellent throwing technique," Lyssie complimented. 

"Really?" Keefe asked. "Because that was my first time." 

"Yes, the only problem was..." The pizza dough came back down and landed with a flop on Keefe's head. "You need to remember to catch it." I laughed since, well, this happened a lot with Keefe and it was even more hilarious each time. Lyssie joined me and we laughed until Keefe got extremely irritated with us. 

"Help!" he exclaimed. "Take the thingy off!" He was frozen in position; apparently, he thought by not moving, the pizza dough would just slide off. Unfortunately, that was not the case. 

"I don't think you added enough flour," Lyssie informed him, as I tried peeling the dough off. It was really stuck in his hair. And when I finally did get it out, there were still major chunks in left. 

"Is it all out?" Keefe asked. 

"Um... No?" I said, trying to be honest. I knew he was really sensitive about his hair, though. Keefe's eye widened as he shook his head like a dog trying to get the dough out. And somehow, it actually seemed to work. Well, he was extremely dizzy after a full minute of doing so, but at least all the dough was out. It was a good thing too, because no matter how funny, I definitely did not want pizza dough in his hair for the rest of the day. He'd be super complain-y. 

"Phew," Keefe sighed with relief. "That was close." 

"You know, I knew that was going to happen," I told him. "It just seemed like exactly the thing you would do." 

"So you could've prevented it, but you didn't?" Keefe questioned, folding his arms. 

"Nope! Cause, where's the fun in that?" 

"I don't know you very well," Lyssie said, "but I also had a feeling that would happen. There's always that one person in my class..." 

"Am I that one person?" Keefe asked after some thought. Lyssie sighed and just handed us a premade pizza crust. 

"Good luck with him," she whispered to me. 

"I'm already engaged," I told her with a grin. "Lucky me, right?" Lyssie laughed and headed over to Linh and Dex who seemed to be having some issues with the toppings. 

"Hey, what do you think is the difference between ketchup and tomato sauce?" Keefe asked me. I suppose I should've seen at least one ridiculous question coming up, but I didn't expect it to be so soon. And so... ridiculous. 

"Uhh... Well, you wouldn't put ketchup on spaghetti, would you?" 

"Sometimes," Keefe replied with a shrug. I gasped. 

"Seriously?" People might sometimes call me a picky eater, which was only sometimes true, but I definitely did not approve of ketchup spaghetti. "That's just not right, Keefe." 

"It tastes interesting," he replied. "Besides, isn't it basically the same thing?" I shook my head furiously. 

"That is not true!" I protested. 

"Ooh! We can have it at our wedding," Keefe suggested. That seemed like an extremely bad idea. Luckily, I had an extremely good idea. One that worked every single time. 

"Okay, Keefe, there's only one way to settle this. We have to play the game," I proposed. 

"The game?" Keefe repeated. "The one I never win?" I shrugged mysteriously. 

"Perhaps you will this time," I told him. Keefe seemed hesitant, but he was never one to turn down a bet. 

"Alright, fine." 

I grinned widely. I always loved it when we played this game. "I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 1,000," I told him. "Whoever gets closer wins. What's your guess?" 

"Hmm... I'm gonna say... 55," Keefe guessed after some serious thinking. 

"Good guess," I said with a smile. "Now, I'm going to guess... 12." 

"What was the number?" Keefe asked eagerly. 

"13," I told him truthfully. It really was 13. Well, in hindsight, I did know it was 13 before we played, which is why I chose 12. You'd think he would've figured out the flaw by now, but nope. 

"Darn! I lose again?" Keefe asked. "Why are you so good at this?" 

"Keefe, I'm going to let you in on a little secret," I whispered. Perhaps it was time I told him the truth. "I have psychic powers." Or perhaps not. 

"REALLY?" Keefe exclaimed. "HOW? Do you know what I'm thinking of right now?" 

"Uh, how you think I'm lying?" I predicted. Keefe's jaw dropped. 

"It totally was!" And a new wonderful game was born. Although I doubted Keefe would ever win this one, either. Partly because I loved winning... But also, even though I would never tell a soul, I loved impressing him too. I mean, he was my fiance, and once we were married, it'd be like we knew every single thing about each other - which was kinda boring. I just wanted to be sure that in our relationship, things never got boring. Besides, he was so cute when he was all surprised or confused. Or basically any other emotion. But I just loved him for his real self, no matter how... unique. And he always did keep things interesting. I really was lucky to be engaged to him.