Chapter 10

Fitz's P.O.V.

I stood patiently in my room, waiting for Biana to return. Apparently, she just had to go shopping. She had promised to be here... - I glanced at the clock - 15 minutes ago, but I still saw no sign of her out the window.  

Now we only had 10 minutes until 6 to make it to the dinner on time. I just really hoped Biana was on her way so we didn't arrive late. I didn't want Sophie to think I wasn't punctual! But then again, if I showed up too early, did that mean I was overly eager? I had no idea because I hadn't felt the way I did about Sophie in... Well, basically never. 

I kept worrying myself with these thoughts and was about to go ahead and leave to find Biana myself when my phone rang. 

"Hello?" I asked. The number didn't look familiar. 

"Is this Biana Vacker's brother?" the voice replied. 

"Um... Yes?" I answered hesitantly. "Who is this?" 

"I'm calling from the police station and we need you to come by." I gulped. What had Biana gotten herself into this time? 

"Uh, okay then... I'll be there in a minute." I hung up and grabbed my car keys and coat and raced out the door. It was 5 minutes until 6 and all hope of making it on time disappeared out the window. But I was more concerned about why Biana was in jail. I really hope dad doesn't find out about this, I thought, as I got in the car and started the engine. 

I definitely might've exceeded the speed limit just a little bit, but there was nobody around and I figured it was necessary if I wanted to get to Biana before they executed her or something. Well, maybe not execute. I hadn't been in town for a long time so I wasn't sure what the punishment was for a first-time offense. As long as Biana hadn't done something absolutely crazy, she should be off the hook. 

The minute I parked my car, I dashed towards the police station and rushed inside, breathing hard. 

"Where's Biana?" I demanded. The person at the front desk raised an eyebrow. 

"Please wait," she told me. I sighed and reluctantly sat down on the hard chair. I was hoping we'd at least be able to make it to the dinner, but that was looking less and less likely by the minute. And finally, after 10 whole minutes of waiting, a person came towards me and motioned for me to follow him. 

"Right this way," he told me. His voice sounded exactly like the one I had spoken to on the phone. We passed a few different vacant jail cells - and one that wasn't vacant - before reaching my sister. 

"FITZY!" she exclaimed when she saw me. She was obviously relieved to see me, but I was more frustrated that she had gotten arrested

"Biana! Why are you in jail?" I questioned, crossing my arms. Biana let out a nervous chuckle. 

"Whaa- this is the mall!" she said. I rolled my eyes. 

"Biana, no jokes. Just tell me why you've committed a crime large enough to get you in jail." 

"It wasn't my fault!" she protested. The guard snorted in amusement. 

"Sure, you just shoplifted on accident," he said sarcastically. 

"SHOPLIFTED?" I exclaimed. "Biana, we taught you better than that!" My sister rolled her eyes.

"Oh, please, you didn't teach me anything." 

"Well, good, I wouldn't want to be responsible for teaching you to do such a thing." Biana sighed and let out a whimper.

"Can you please let me out?" she asked. 

"I don't know how!" I told her. I turned to the guard. "Isn't this a first-time offense? Can't you let her go with a warning?" 

The guard shook his head. "This lady decided to make a mockery of the system - then tried to run away, resisted arrest, and made up wild excuses." I raised my eyebrows in shock. I couldn't believe Biana had done all that. 

"Surely this is a misunderstanding," I told the guard, "Biana isn't capable of such things." I turned back to my sister. "Why don't you tell us the story? The real story. And don't leave anything out!" 

Biana frowned, as if indignant to have to prove her innocence. 

"Do I have to?" she complained. "These people have made a mistake!" I leaned in closer to Biana. 

"If you don't start behaving, they're going keep you here forever!" I whispered. Biana's eyes opened widely and she shook her head furiously. 

"I don't want to be here forever!" she exclaimed. 

"Well, then you better start explaining," I said. The guard crossed his arm and leaned against a jail cell as if getting comfortable for a bedtime story. I only hoped Biana would be convincing enough, and if not, surely they had video footage of Biana's innocence?

"You may begin," he ordered. I could tell Biana was trying hard not to retort something back as she bit her lip. 

"Fine," she gave in, without further comment. She paced around the cell a few times before taking off her jacket and placing it on the cold floor. Then she took a seat and smoothed out her dress. 

"Seriously, Biana? Just start!" I exclaimed. 

"This is a long story," she explained. "I want to get comfortable." I sighed, but let her continue getting as cozy as a person could in a jail cell. 

"Okay, I'm ready," Biana informed us. Then she began the long story of how she managed to get arrested.