Chapter 24

Biana's P.O.V.

I had to admit that the blindfolds were just the tiniest bit unnecessary. But it was so much better with them! It gave everything a suspenseful vibe. Like when I got to shout:

"Reveal!" I took off everyone's blindfold and waited for the applause - spoiler alert, none came. 

"Really, Biana?" Fitz asked with a sigh. "Why?" 

"What?" I asked, confused. 

"I can't believe you actually took us rock climbing!" Keefe exclaimed. "Nobody ever wants to go rock climbing with us." 

"I know!" Marella agreed. "But now everyone is forced to do it!" I looked back at the area with confusion. 

"What's rock climbing?" I asked. Fitz slapped his forehead.

"You don't even know what rock climbing is?" he asked in exasperation. I crossed my arms crossly. 

"It's not my fault I don't know what that is! But the website said it was a fun place to go with friends!" I informed him. "And we're all friends in need for fun!" 

"Yes, we are!" Linh exclaimed. "But... Isn't this dangerous?" 

"Probably not," I assured. Fitz sighed again which really confused me. What could possibly be wrong with rock climbing? 

And then 10 minutes I figured it out. 

"WE'RE SUPPOSED TO CLIMB THAT?" I shouted. Apparently, "rock climbing" literally meant climbing rocks. I just assumed it was figurative! Like football or sock-er. 

"Yup! Doesn't it look so fun?" Marella asked. She and Keefe were already racing towards a rock wall but then were stopped by an instructor who handed them each a harness. 

"Right..." Marella sighed. "We need the harnesses. It's much more fun without them, though, trust me." 

"Uh, sure..." Dex replied hesitantly. 

"Well, I guess it's too late to back out now," I declared. "If we're going to do this, we shall do it right! Everyone change into their sports outfits." 

"I didn't actually think we'd be wearing all the outfits we bought," Sophie whispered to Fitz. And while we were obviously going to wear all the outfits, I was more fixed on how they were getting closer! It was amazing. My evil- I mean, helpful plan was going to get them together. 

"Huh... I don't think a group has ever requested an outfit change, but sure," our instructor said, pointing us towards the bathroom. After we changed, he handed us our harnesses and told us how to put them on. 

"Yay!" Linh clapped as everyone finished. "A new experience is always fun." 

"Rock climbing is great," our instructor told us. "By the way, I'm James and I will be your instructor. So make sure you don't die or anything on my watch." He grinned a big toothy grin. 

Believe it or not, Tam almost smirked at that one, which kind of made sense. He seemed to be into dark humor and stuff. 

James looked like he had been rock climbing all his life and looked super big and tall with curly, sandy blonde hair. He practically towered over me but seemed friendly enough. Like that one book I read... Hmm... Oh! Right! It was called BFG. A Big Friendly Giant. That pretty much summed up James. 

"Okay everyone, grab a partner and choose a wall," James instructed. "You definitely want someone there in case you fall so you don't crack your head. But here's a helmet just in case." He proceeded to hand us all helmets. 

"Do we need these?" Keefe asked. 

"Um... Yes?" James answered. "Unless you want to risk cracking your head." 

"I'd be willing to risk that - I've already been in an oven today." James looked taken aback and I didn't blame him. After all, it wasn't every day someone said they'd recently been in an oven - which actually happened. Keefe was hesitant at first but then went in after Marella and Tam bribed him with ice cream. 

"Well, if you've been in an oven, you're practically invisible!" James joked. But Keefe obviously didn't get the joke. 

"So I don't need to wear the helmet...?" Keefe asked. 

"Sorry, but it's a requirement," James informed him. Keefe sighed and reluctantly put on the helmet, fussing over his hair the entire time. 

"Can we get started now?" Marella asked eagerly. 

"Right," James said, "just a few more things. Make sure you're buckled in tightly, okay? So if you fall and your buddy can't catch you, the rope will." Sophie seemed to be turning a sickly shade of green. And I probably would've done the same, had it not been for all the adrenaline rushing through my body. I'd never rocked climbed or done anything remotely this scary before and I was almost kind of excited to do it! And my excitement basically blocked out all the logical parts of my brain telling me not to do this. 

"And that's everything," James announced, "you can go now!" Keefe and Marella immediately headed for the one that looked the most difficult to climb. Linh excitedly ran over to a wall where all the climbing holds were different types of candy while Dex followed obediently. He seemed a lot less excited to climb the wall, though. And last, of all, Sophie and Fitz just stood around, not really heading towards a specific direction. But I knew that they just had to do this! Putting your life in the hands of someone you liked really bonded two people. 

"Come on, Tam, let's go help Sophie and Fitz," I whispered. 

"Why?" Tam asked. I shrugged.

"Because that's what I do," I replied. 

"Meddle?" Tam asked. I laughed.

"Of course not! I help bring people together. Like a matchmaker." I tried to inconspicuously make my way over to Sophie and Fitz. 

"Heeeeeeeeey," I greeted, trying not to sound suspicious. 

"Why do you look so suspicious?" Fitz asked with a raised eyebrow. Darn! I exclaimed in my head. It didn't work.

"Um, no reason at all," I answered. "But since we're all here, let's try a wall together!" I took both of their hands and directed them towards a random wall. "Here, you try, Sophie!" 

"No thank you-" Sophie tried to protest, but I already had her buckled into the rope. She sighed heavily. "Fine." She started making her way up the wall as Fitz watched with a worried expression.

"Are you sure this is safe?" he asked me. 

"Perfectly," I replied. "And effective." 

"Effective?" my brother repeated. "For what?" 

"Getting two people together," I murmured under my breath. 

"What?" Fitz asked warily. 

"Exercising!" I quickly corrected. "Now continue watching Sophie so she doesn't die." Fitz frowned but dropped the subject. I smiled to myself. Just a few hours and these two would practically be married!