Chapter 38

Sophie's P.O.V. 

One month later... 

"This is really happening!" Linh twirled around in her classic wedding gown, looking exactly like a princess. She even had her hair woven intricately by a professional to add to her overall princess look. 

"You look wonderful," I told her. "And so do you, Marella." Marella grinned and placed the final touches of glitter on her face. She definitely went for a more unique style, with a bedazzled two-piece wedding dress and her hair in a crazy updo. 

"I can't believe I'm getting married..." Marella looked down at her white dress and smiled. "I never thought I'd be doing it this soon, but I'm certainly glad it's with the right person." 

"Group hug!" Linh exclaimed, pulling us both in. She gave us a reassuring squeeze before letting go. 

"So..." I subconsciously tugged on an eyelash. "Any news of Biana? Or... Fitz?" Linh shook her head sadly. 

"I haven't heard a thing!" she informed me. "It's like they disappeared." I shrugged, trying not to let it show how disappointed I was. The last thing I wanted to be at my two best friends' wedding was a downer. 

"Oh well," I replied as if it didn't matter at all. I had a feeling Linh and Marella both saw right through my facade, but they didn't push me on it. 

Since the last time I saw Fitz, I had had absolutely no contact with him. We had exchanged numbers and I tried texting him a few times, but he never responded. It would be an understatement to say I was depressed. But what could I say? I was used to disappointment in love by now. 

"Can you girls hurry this up? It's taking too long." Tam stepped into the room and pulled on his tie. "And who came up with this idea? I hate ties." Linh rolled her eyes, obviously used to her brother's negative outlook on life by now. 

"It's really simple," she assured him. Tam looked up and his frown slightly - just slightly - reduced. 

"...You look great, Linh," he said. Linh smiled hugely and hugged her twin. 

"That means a lot," she whispered. 

"Okay, touching moment and all, but please don't start crying, Linh," Marella asked. "I spent so long on your makeup." Linh's bottom lip started to tremble and Tam sighed. 

"Why can't I just say something nice without you bursting into tears?" 

"Uh, maybe because it's extremely rare?" I asked. Tam rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, whatever," he said, then left the room. He'd been extra grumpy lately, and I had a feeling it was because of a certain someone. Along with Fitz, Biana had also cut all ties with us. I didn't know what was going on with the Vackers, but all I knew was that it was officially over. Well, not that Fitz and I were really a thing or anything, we had only known each other for a few days, after all. So by "over", I basically just meant I should move on with my life and stop fantasizing about what it might be like if he hadn't left. 

"Well... You should go and mingle with the guests," Linh suggested. "Maybe it'll get your mind off... Whatever you're thinking of." I noticed how she was careful not to say his name because I had been extremely sensitive about that topic for the last few days - weeks, really. But now I was going to move on.

"Thanks," I said gratefully, giving them both one last hug before venturing outside the room. The brides had both decided on an outdoor wedding and had gone with a beautiful fairy-tale theme. I was surprised that Marella had agreed to it, but I had a feeling it was only because Linh agreed to all the crazy theatrics for the entertainment. Rumors were floating around about Keefe and Marella performing their most epic show yet right after the ceremony. 

I took a seat on one of the white chairs - which Linh had actually painted herself - glancing around self-consciously. My pet store had been busy the past month so I really hadn't gotten a chance to pick out my own bridesmaid dress. (It was a small wedding, so I was the only bridesmaid and the theme was just 'colorful'.) Linh had said she trusted me to pick out my own dress, and I had meant to do it yesterday, but I got this emergency case at the clinic. So my only option was the dress Linh and Marella had picked out in case something like this happened - which was great planning on their part, considering how disorganized I was. 

The only problem was that their dress was a bold red color and in my opinion, too low cut, short, and tight. And then Linh had insisted on doing my makeup and hair - which she did a great job on but made me feel all the more like everyone was staring at me. And I didn't necessarily know if it was a good or bad thing, although Linh had assured me it was a good thing. 

"Hi, is this seat taken?" I turned around and saw a guy around my age with light brown hair and brown eyes. 

"Um, no," I answered hesitantly. "But technically I'm a bridesmaid so you could take my seat if you want. It has a great view of the front." 

"Oh, that won't be necessary," he assured. "I'm Tom, by the way." I had no idea who Tom was and he didn't look the least bit familiar, so I figured it was another stranger Linh had invited. I didn't know whether to respond or make up an excuse not to talk to him. But then I remembered how I was supposed to move on and decided it wouldn't hurt to have a conversation with him. 

"I'm Sophie," I responded. "How are you-" I wasn't even finished with the sentence when someone jerked me out of my seat and I found myself behind one of the trees surrounding the stage. 

"What in the..." I steadied myself, using the tree for help before bothering to see who had done such a crazy thing. I mean, it wasn't every day someone just randomly yanked me out of my conversation - especially so fast. But as I saw who it was, I realized it really wasn't that shocking. 

"BIANA?"