Chapter 42

Sophie's P.O.V.

I willed myself to smile as I met back up with my friends. I suppose I would have to tell them sometime that I had never planned on stopping Fitz's wedding, but I was going for later rather than sooner. 

"So?" Linh asked eagerly. "How did it go?" 

"Well-" 

"SHE DIDN'T DO IT!" Biana suddenly shouted before clamping her mouth. "Sorry. My mouth just has a brain of its own." 

I sighed and slowly shook my head. "Better you than me, I guess. I didn't want to disappoint you guys - after all, you did come all this way for me. But I just couldn't..." I flinched, readying myself for shouting and yelling and complaining about how they'd missed their wedding for me - all of which I completely deserved. But instead of that, I just felt arms wrap around me. 

"What...?" I opened my eyes. "Why are you guys hugging me? Why aren't you yelling at me?" 

"Sophie, if you thought we would do that, you really don't know us," Marella said with a grin. "Our friend just got her heart, broken, and you expected us to yell at you?" 

"We would never!" Linh agreed immediately. "We're just proud that you came this far. And of course, we love you no matter what." I looked at my friends with teardrops threatening to roll down my face. What did I do to deserve all of this?

"You deserve it because you're you," Biana responded. "And that's all that matters. I know I haven't been a part of this friend group for a long time, but I really do love how kind and supportive you all are." 

"Well, we consider you our best friend now!" Linh exclaimed. 

"Although we do have to talk about that whole mind-reading thing," I added. "I don't know how you're doing it!" 

"A true magician never reveals her secret," Biana said mischievously with a grin. We stood there for a moment before this odd look came across my friends' faces. 

"Um, are you alright?" I asked curiously. It wasn't like there was anything wrong with their facial expressions, it just seemed off. 

"Oh, yeah, we're fine!" Linh replied with a huge smile. 

"Totally!" Marella agreed. Biana just kept her mouth closed, as if afraid she would give something away. Then they all slowly started backing up until I was left wondering what had gotten into them. 

I was about to ask further questions when someone hugged me from behind and twirled me around before setting me down. I nearly screamed but stopped myself in time; after all, if my friends had let this happen, it surely wasn't a kidnapper. And as I turned around to see who it was, I realized it definitely wasn't a kidnapper. More like my savior. 

"FITZ?" I exclaimed. "What are you doing here? Why are you here? Don't you have a wedd-" He cut me off by kissing me deeply for a few seconds. I was shocked and confused, but it wasn't like I was going to complain. 

"I'm sorry, Sophie," Fitz said as we broke apart. "I should've never let you leave. Or left myself. But now I'm definitely never letting you go." 

I smiled. "Why the sudden change? And what about the wedding that should've started a few minutes ago?" But I didn't care what his answer or explanation would be. He came back for me and that was enough. 

"Well that was exciting," Marella commented as Fitz wrapped up his story. 

"Yup!" Linh exclaimed. "But it was also beautiful! I mean, the way they had to leave each other but then came back because they loved each other- it's just so heartwarming!" Her lower lip slightly quivered as she tried to hold back the tears. 

"Um... Oh no." Marella held up her phone and we saw all the messages that had come through in the past hour. There must have been hundreds from the boys and it was frankly hilarious to look through them. Apparently, Keefe had thought "lobe" meant "lobster". It honestly wasn't that surprising though. 

"I guess we should head back now," Biana responded with a bright smile. "I can't wait to see everyone again!" 

"You mean Tam?" Marella teased. 

"EEK! TAM IS GOING TO FREAK OUT!" Linh jumped up and down in happiness. "You won't believe how sad he's been lately. I mean, he's always sad, but these days he was EXTRA sad. But now he won't be because you're here!" Biana's face reddened at the thought. 

"Well, what are we waiting for?" she asked after a moment's hesitation, obviously even more eager now to see Tam again. 

"Wait, just one more thing," Fitz informed. He looked right at me and we locked gazes for a few seconds. 

"I meant what I said Sophie," he told me. "I'm never letting you go again. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me and I don't know if I can go another minute without you in my life." He went down on one need and pulled out a small ring from his pocket as Biana gasped. 

"When did you get that ring?" she asked incredulously. 

"Right after the moment I saw Sophie," he explained with a sheepish smile. "I didn't tell you since I wasn't sure if I was being downright crazy. I hadn't even met her and I was already buying a ring. But I just had this feeling - and I still do, even stronger now than before." 

As the love of my life smiled at me, I couldn't help wonder if this was a dream. Things like this happened in fairy tales, not my life! But nope, it certainly was real. That much was clear from all the pinching. 

"Sophie Foster, will you do me the great honor of being my wife?" Fitz asked. "I will love you forever and always." 

I was stunned into silence for a few seconds but quickly snapped myself out of it. I wasn't doing anyone any good by standing there with my mouth hanging open. 

"Of course!" I exclaimed. "You don't know how much I love you right now." Fitz grinned as he slipped the ring onto my finger. It was a beautiful teal-colored jewel with a shiny gold band. I kissed him one more time along with a big hug before finally letting go. 

"This has been the best day ever," I whispered softly. 

"And it's only the first of many," Fitz replied with a smile. Linh clapped happily and squealed with joy. It took a while for her to calm down with one final, happy sigh.

"You guys finally got your happily ever after."