breaking the curse

Draco's POV:
    Was apple really with Dumbledore? Why? What does she want from that greasy old wizard? Now I'm kind of glad that we killed him...
   I look up and see Danny dog carrying apple and observing her with caution, like she's a bomb about to explode or something. I guess it makes sense, her love potion is the whole reason we got into this mess. I walk over and take apple from his hands and start trying to talk to her.
"I'm sorry that I ever even let him take you in the first place. I should have known. I'm so sorry apple I'll make it up to you somehow I won't let anything like that happen again."
Apple is my friend, and even though we've been through some rough patches I know that it's my job to protect her and help her now. We were all walking back to the library (still in our Beauxbatons attire) to research love potions and see what we could do to help apple, hopefully there would be something, but I doubt anything could work considering Dumbledore was having problems solving it. I still had hope though. I knew apple was suffering living through this and I would do whatever it took to help her.

"Lady's guide to poison, Lumos and Nox, AH Love potions!" Peppa says pulling a thick volume from the library shelf. She slams it on the table and blows off the dust and slowly opens the old cracking book as we all gather around to look over her shoulder. She flipped to the page labeled "cures" and we all started reading but it was hard to see because of how old and worn the pages were.
"A love potion is the most powerful spell you can put onto someone, it is also the most dangerous. To replicate those feelings through a potion or spell is the most difficult thing to reverse, because you cannot take those feelings out of one persons head. For example, if you cursed a single object (depending on how strong it was) you could reverse that but you can't reverse the effect it has on a person. That is why we take so much caution in using love potions, if you make it too strong the effects are permanent."
So I will always be in love with apple? The author hasn't said you can't reverse the spell on the object itself yet so maybe there's still hope for apple.
"To reverse a spell you can drink the regular antidotes or use the priori incantatem reverse spell, obviously, but if you came all the way here to read this I assume you have an issue bigger than that. In order to reverse a larger love potion you would need a red chrysanthemum plant to make your antidote, I don't know the exact recipe and neither does anybody I know. It was lost a long time ago and has yet to be recovered, if you came here looking for answers then I'm afraid you're out of luck."
What the heck.
"If he doesn't know then why did he write a book on it??" I said to no one in particular.
"Were there any other books on love potions?"
"Not that I saw," said Peppa, although I could see her brain turning. She was having an idea.
"Do you guys remember the old tale of Odarin?"
Of course I don't, father never read me stories as a child but I nodded when everyone else did. She disappeared down toward the fiction aisle and return a moment later with a book titled "Odarin's Potion" It was a short book, like one you'd read as a bedtime story to a small child. Peppa opened to the first page and started reading out loud to us.

In a far away land, in a far away village, in house far from the rest, was a wizard and his name was Odarin. He was a peculiar boy, he grew up in the town where everyone knew each other and everyone was kind to each other. Well, except for him.
When Odarin was a small boy living on his fathers farm he started experimenting with magic, which had far since died off in their village. The townspeople ruled it too dangerous and unpredictable, it wasn't long until magic of any kind was frowned upon and even punishable. You see before all magic was outlawed, there had been a great war in which many families were torn apart. It was good vs evil, some believed in using magic for healing and building, others believed in using it for harming and destroying. Everyone in town agreed they must never go back to that and anyone who is taught magic was given far too much power. After that the tradition died and most of the townspeople's children and grandchildren weren't even capable of using magic because it had fallen out of practice. Everybody agreed it was better off that way and most people rarely even thought about the way it used to be. Until the young boy named Odarin came along.
It was a Sunday morning when the incident happened. People were making their way to church in all their finest clothes, neighbors greeted each other with a friendly 'Hey!' and shopkeepers opened up their windows and put out their displays. The young boy was running through the streets, his face covered in dirt and his clothing threadbare. Everyone in the town took pity on the poor family. The boys mother had died and left the father with 4 young children, and his farm couldn't always supply them with what they needed. The children needed to stay home from school to do the farm work because otherwise they couldn't eat. Because of this the family was always separated from the rest of town. The children interacted only with each other and the father was known to be quite the hermit, but they were still good folks no matter how poor or ill-mannered they were.
It was that morning running down the street that the young boy swiped a jar of spices from a shopkeeper while he wasn't looking and ran home. Odarin had found an old potions book in a chest buried in the ground while farming, and he intended to use it to make his family rich. All he wanted was to see his little sister in a clean school dress competing in the spelling bee, or to see his father take a day off from the farm work. He hoped that it would work, and now that he had the final ingredient he was going to make his family proud.
That night he crept out of bed and got the ingredients. he set up his things next to the small kitchen pot he took and locked the door to the bathroom while he did it. The book warned to put a protection spell over yourself before making the potion, because the process of making it can be harmful, but he already knew how to do that because he had been learning magic for months now. He cast the spell and started mixing the ingredients. One by one he dropped them and they each made a noise once they hit the bottom followed by a puff of colored smoke. It was going well so far and Odarin had hope. At first he thought the book was a hoax, that magic truly had died, but he was doing it and it was working. His younger siblings would have enough to eat, his sister would finally go to school, his dad would finally get enough rest and get the smile back in his face.
And then things went horribly wrong. There's no saying where the mistake was made, but foam of all colors flew up in the air and busted down the locked door. Odarin stood and watched as it happened, his protection spell creating a force field encasing him and the book while the foam covered the areas around it. Odarin started to panic, the foam kept rising, soon it would get to his sisters- he needed to get them out of the house! He raced to their room only to discover it was too late. The foam was burning holes in the floor and walls, it seemed to be hot as fire. The fabric of their beds and rugs ignited and soon their whole house was in flames.
The boy who was not yet 10 years old stood outside his home and watched it burn, a force field still surrounding him and tears streaming down his face. He had caused this. It was all his fault. Neighbors stumbled out of their homes with slippers and sleepy eyes to stare at the burning house with foam pouring out the sides. They were no fools, they knew magic when they saw it and they knew it was all Odarin's doing. Odarin spent the next few days sitting on the streets, begging for food but only getting cold stares and threats. He knew he wasn't wanted so he trekked up to the mountains and they never saw him again.
The boy brought only the clothes on his back and the magic boom still clutched in his arms and he built a small fort out of fallen tree limbs where he settled down and cried. He was all alone for 2 weeks, and those were the loneliest 2 weeks of his life. He ate only tree bark and berries because he couldn't hunt, he didn't know where to get clean water or how to build a good shelter. And that's when Frovia came and saved his life. Frovia was a girl who lived in his village, he had occasionally seen her at school. Her dad was a hunter and often brought her along. She knew all about survival and taught Odarin all he knew. She kept him company when he was all alone because she didn't think the magic was disgraceful. They became the best of friends and years later Frovia came to him with news of her engagement to a man named Pollax. Odarin was beyond angry, to think his only friend would be taken away by some man, he wouldn't allow it to happen. Not the way his family was already taken from him. He wouldn't be alone again so he made plans to murder Pollax, but soon realized this wouldn't solve anything. Killing Pollax would only drive Frovia away from him, what he needed was to bring Frovia closer to him, not further from Pollax.
He blew the dust from the cover of the magic book and started making a potion., something he hadn't done since 8 years ago when ten incident happened. He made a love potion, stronger than anyone had ever heard of, though he didn't know it at the time. He made plans to invite over Frovia for tea and to slip some in, and if that didn't work he always had poison to use on her fiancé. The potion went over smoothly, by the end Odarin was left with a bubbly pink liquid the color of cherry blossoms. When Frovia arrived for tea, he pulled out her chair and poured her drink, turning away to stir in a spoonful of the potion and serve it to her. He waited while she took a sip. And then another. Soon she was staring at him with an unfamiliar sparkle in her eyes. Sure, the man knew it was wrong to trick people like this but he needed to keep his friend. The thing is, Odarin never knew how much of an effect a little love potion could have. Not even a day later Frovia broke off the marriage with Pollax and hung around Odarin all hours of the day. She sat with him at every meal and followed him to do every task. Frovia wasn't herself, she was reduced to just a girl obsessed with Odarin's every move. The man thought that by doing this he was saving his friendship but really all he did was ruin it, and ruin her, the only person he cared about. Odarin didn't know what to do, so he prayed to the gods and asked for guidance. The gods told him that a spell like that could only be broken if the one affected (him) could fall in love, either with the girl or with another person."

Peppa closed the book.
"Is that the end?" I ask
"Of course not, but that's all we need to know"
"What do you mean"
"Yeah Peppa, that's a child's story. It's fiction. That's not a real recipe for breaking a spell" Danny said.
"What else is there to do about it?" Peppa asks, "Its the only option we have"
"So you're saying everyone who fell in love with apple now needs to fall in love with somebody else to break the curse?" It's absurd!
"Well Suzy's with Peppa, Danny's with Zoe, Dumbledore's dead, Snape is..."
We looked over to see Snape crying over a picture of Lily Potter and screaming curses.
"So that means the only one left is-"
"No" I shake my head "Not gonna happen"
Peppa looks over to Suzy and giggles.
"Draco," she says "do you still like Harry?"