Chapter 18

Cody's POV

I kept glancing at the clock. The hands that ticked, sounding as if they blared in the silent hall. I kept looking at it. Staring at it. Wilson went in for surgery this morning. The surgery takes hours. During those hours I will stay in this chair, waiting for the surgery to end. I wasn't the only one. My parents, and all of my siblings were here. Tamlin, Garth, Bella, and Mace were with Abigail at her house so we could all be here. I told her she didn't have to take them, but she was adamant. 

Edgar sat in the chair in front of me, his leg bouncing. It was a nervous habit he had. It was also caused by nicotine withdrawal since he hasn't had a cigarette since before he got ready to come here this morning. My last one was before I came back after resting and eating. I needed one badly, but I refused to leave this chair. My mom sat beside me working on a sudoku puzzle, Tyson beside Edgar reading articles on his tablet, my dad on the other side of my mom reading one of the magazines he grabbed from a waiting room table, Vanessa was across from him working on a design of some kind, Olivia was next to her playing a game on her phone with Zatch beside her reading a Manga, and Jocelyn was on the other side of my dad looking at wedding stuff from Pinterest. They were trying to distract their minds from wandering down the path of worries and dark thoughts, but I couldn't even bring myself to look at my phone. I know Edgar looked at his when checking on the kids, but he didn't do anything else. 

These hours felt like they were the longest of my life. Time was funny that way. During the fun moments, it was as if time went by so quickly, but during times like this it crawled. The only difference between the moments is when you're having fun, you don't pay attention to it while during moments like these you count every second that passes. 

When I learned about the tumor, I kept asking myself, why is it that we're just now learning he has one? He's been in and out of the hospital so often because of his epilepsy. Tumors take time though. It's possible that because he was so small, and he's so young, they couldn't see it at first. I talked to his doctor and the doctor said that it was possible he was born with it. It's nearly impossible, but it's not unheard of. They just weren't able to see it until recently because of how small it was. It could also be the cause of his seizures and Amberly shaking him is what triggered the tumor to start causing them. If they're successful in removing the tumors there is a chance he'll stop having seizures and there is a very low, almost nonexistent, possibility of the tumor growing back. My fingers were crossed so tightly on those chances. 

Eventually the doctor came out, I shot to my feet. "The surgery was a success and he will have a long road of recovery ahead of him, but he will be just fine," the doctor said to me. Relief slammed into me so hard, I wasn't able to breathe. "They're currently getting him settled into his room, so soon you will be able to visit him." He walked away and I felt my eyes burn with tears. My baby was okay. 

It took Wilson a day to wake up. He was really sore and groggy when he came too, which I was told was going to be normal for a little bit. I would be too if people cut something from my brain so I understood that. It would take a few months for him to heal and depending on how he was doing by the time Jocelyn's wedding comes around, I'll send Bella and Mace with my parents while I stayed home with Wilson. 

Edgar came in, not looking to be in the best of moods. "What's up," I asked him. "Amberly made an appearance at the compound. Apparently she's now one of the prospects girlfriends. I'm guessing they're dating out of spite. When I saw her, I snapped," he confessed to me. "In front of everyone at the compound." I raised an eyebrow, "What did you say?" "I told him he should fucking run while he had the chance because no body needs her loose lips in their life. She was a waste of space. Of course they got in my face, and he asked me what right I had to talk to about her like that. I told him I had every fucking right. I was filling in her role as a mother to her three kids, one of them who just had surgery to remove a brain tumor, which is the same one she almost killed when she couldn't handle being a mother a couple years ago. She knows where she could find us, and instead of even attempting to be a mother, she's to busy trying to get into the club to enjoy the free smoke, sex, and booze." He ran a hand through his hair, "After my little rant, he stepped away from her like she was the plague. No body wanted her around after that, and she really hated me for it, but I didn't care." 

He sat beside me, "You know, hearing her name pisses me off so much. Not just because of what she did to Wilson, but because she doesn't give a shit about them and is living a life she enjoys. While the woman who loved all five of those kids, didn't even get to live long enough to see her youngest's face." I knew exactly how he felt. It wasn't fair that the woman who wanted to be there for her kids couldn't be, while the woman who wants nothing to do with them is free to walk about as she pleases. 

"You know if Bryce was here, she'd go over board on babying him," Edgar said softly. I chuckled as I nodded, "She'd cover him lipstick marks from kisses every chance she got too." He chuckled softly with a nod.

"Her birthday is in a week," he whispered. "It's the first one I won't be waking her up with flowers and breakfast in bed." He took a deep breath as he tried to keep the tears back, "Why are the firsts so hard?" "I wish I knew," I told him. "What are you going to do?" 

"The boys and I are gonna bring her flowers. Garth colored her a card," he answered. I gave his shoulder a supportive squeeze, and he covered my hand with his. 

"We should throw Wilson a party for when he's fully recovered," I suggested to him. "It's something Bryce would spend months planning," he said with a nod. "She'd go over board on the decorations and on his favorite snacks." I laughed softly, "Streamers and balloons for days." 

"Don't forget the confetti from those party poppers she loved using," he said with a laugh. 

"God we would be finding that stuff everywhere for months," I said with a laugh. 

"I see you two are enjoying yourselves," my mom said as she came in with Abigail and Deja. Mom had a stuffed frog in her hands that she placed on the bed next to where Wilson was sleeping. 

"We were talking about Bryce," Edgar told her. "Who's Bryce," Abigail asked curiously. "She was girlfriend," Edgar answered. "And she's Tamlin and Garth's mom." He always used the 'is' term when talking about her as their mom, because he declared that no matter where she was, she will always be there mom. "We were talking about how if she was still here, she'd throw Wilson an obnoxious party once he recovered. She loved celebrating the smallest and biggest milestones in life. One time I got a fifty cent raise at work and she celebrated with a party popper when I walked in through the door, nearly making me drop the groceries I was carrying." 

My mom had a smile, "A party sounds like a wonderful idea." "It's not everyday you kick a tumor's ass," Deja said with a party. 

We all agreed. Soon Edgar left so he could get back to his kids. "He seems off," my mother noted to me. "Is he okay?" "Bryce's birthday is in a week," I shared her. Her eyes filled with sadness, "The firsts are always the hardest." 

I looked at Deja and Abigail, "Bryce passed away giving birth to Tamlin. She knew it would happen. During an exam they learned that if she didn't abort him, she'd die when giving birth. She was determined to enjoy the months she had left as she brought another life into this world. It killed Edgar, because he wanted to marry her. But never once was he angry at her decision. Instead he accepted it, and helped her live out the rest of her life happily before she went." 

"Is he doing anything for her birthday," Mom asked me. "He and the boys are gonna take her flowers and a card Garth colored for her," I answered. "Today was the first time he was able to fully talk about her, so he's getting there but it's gonna take him a while." I fear he may take a step back though when he goes to see her. It's hard losing the one you loved and thought you'd get to spend the rest of your life with. He was doing his best, and that's what mattered.