Chapter 20

Cody's POV

Edgar and I were up early to attend one of our online classes. Yesterday he had gone to Bryce's grave with the boys for her birthday, and today he seemed to be better than he was before he left which made me really happy. Now I just had to figure out what to do for his and my anniversary. It was the anniversary of the day we got out rehab together. Every year we always did something for the other. It was our way of saying, congrats man, you're killing it and I'm proud of you. Going clean and not having a relapse wasn't easy at first. I feel so much better now that I'm clean and having a great life, and I know he did too.

My dad came down the stairs before nine, fully dressed, as we finished our class. "You boys busy," he asked us. We shook our heads. "What's up," I asked him. "We got a transport job," he said. Edgar and I nodded before getting up to get ready.

We headed out on our bikes to the compound to get the full details of the job. Some of the other prospects were there and they didn't give us the nicest of looks but we ignored them. The job was on the south side of town.

"Cops will be out to try and stop us. Somehow they got a tip off," Spark shared with us. "You prospects are distraction."

"And if we get caught," one asked. "You don't," dad told him. It was as simple as that.

We were to ensure they could get to the drop without issue. So that's what we did. We headed out, with a fake truck that had your basic furniture. We played it safe so we didn't get arrested for going on a high speed chase through the city, and let the cops pull us over. 

"There a problem officer," I asked, keeping my hands where they could see them. "Open the back of the truck," he instructed, gun drawn. "Sure thing," I said while getting off my bike once I turned it off. I walked him to the back of the truck. "I'm reaching into my pocket for the key," I said before reaching slowly into my pocket for the key. 

I unlocked the padlock and opened the door. "You're free to take a look. Just try not to damage anything, we'd like to make something tonight," I told them before stepping back. Cops began to check us for weapons as others The most some of us had was your basic pocket knife. 

It took them a couple of hours to search the truck and when they found nothing, they let us go. 

They waited for us to pull out, and I knew some of them were following behind us. We took the truck to the place we were supposed to drop off the furniture too which was just a warehouse. As we unloaded it, my dad sent confirmation, telling us they were successful and on their way back to the compound. 

We finished up and went back to the compound. "Any problems," Spark asked once we went in. "Nope," one of the others said to him. As he gave all of us our payments, I got a text from Abigail.

Abs: My hearing aid batteries died and I have none with me. Can u bring me some????

Me: Sure thing babe 😘

She then sent me her room number and how to get a visitation pass.

I stopped at the store for the batteries she needed and also decided to get her a drink, some candy, and some flowers.

Even though it's been years, I knew the school layout like the back of my hand. I got my pass and made my way to her classroom.

I saw her door was already opened and went in. She was sitting at her desk as the kids worked on their bell ringer. She smiled as her face reddened.

"Were the flowers necessary," she asked me. Since I knew she wouldn't be able to hear me, I signed with my free hand, yes.

She changed the batteries in her hearing aids. "Care to sit in my lesson or do you need to get back to the kids," she asked me. I smiled, "I'm free for however long you can tolerate me."

She smiled as she got up, "Let's get started." She had me sit in her seat behind her desk. I noticed she had a photo of the kids and I on her desk from when we had gone to the aquarium. Either my mom gave it to her or Edgar. I smiled softly at it as she made her way to the board.

I sat during her whole lesson, for once paying attention. Maybe it was because the teacher teaching the class was so hot, or because I respected the woman at the front of the room, but I actually retained some of the information she was teaching versus having to resist the urge to fall asleep when I was in school.

Once she had everyone begin their book work she came over to me. "So Valentine's day is coming up," she said to me. I nodded, "It is."

"I uh, hope you don't mind, but I want to surprise you and the kids," she said. "I know Wilson can't really do anything but even he will be able to be included."

"Aren't I, the boyfriend, supposed to do something for you," I asked with a soft smile. She smiled back, "You've been so busy worrying about Wilson and catching up on your school work, I felt that you are the one that deserved to be spoiled this time around."

I studied her for a couple of moments, "Okay. Just give us a time and place and we'll be there."

Her smile was so bright and full of joy. I couldn't wait to see what she had planned for us.

When I got home, I found Tyson was sitting at the kitchen island, Mace in his lap who was coloring on a piece of paper while Tyson worked on his laptop.

Tyson gave me a smile, "Mom took Bella to the store with her and Jocelyn is laying with Wilson, watching cartoons in the media room." I nodded, "So how is house hunting going?" 

"Very slow," he sighed softly. "Part of me wants to get a fixer upper and have it remodeled to what I want, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with that on top of having to find a place I want to turn into my HQ. I may end up biting off more than I can chew." 

"Well, take a break from house hunting and focus on your HQ. It's not like you're on a time frame to be out of the house," I reminded him. He nodded, "You've got a point there." 

Edgar then came in with Tamlin, Garth following behind him. "You stayed at the school for a while," Edgar said with a smirk. I chuckled softly, "I got to sit through her lesson. There are probably a ton of rumors from her students by now since I surprised her with flowers and candy." Edgar chuckled and shook his head, "Any plans for Valentine's day?" 

"She plans on surprising the kids and I," I answered. "She said this year she was going to spoil me. Of course that's not gonna stop me from spoiling her." 

She was my girl and I loved spoiling her every chance I got. I always have, and I know I always will.