Chapter Twenty Six

As soon as Tucker hung up the call, he threw the phone on the bed, yelling a loud 'fuck' as he did so. It had been two weeks since he got the case. Two weeks of collecting evidence and working till three in the morning. He had barely taken a break, and worked even on weekends.

Just when he thought he had enough to put Jake Garner away for good, he got the call. Garner had an alibi. For two weeks, nothing, and now suddenly there was an alibi that came out of nowhere. Garner claimed he had 'memory problems', and only just remembered that he could prove he was elsewhere during the time of the robbery.

Tucker knew bullshit when he saw it. And this was enough to stink up an entire stadium.

It was around eight, and the last meal that Tucker had was a very rushed breakfast at the nearby diner. Frustrated, he went to his kitchen, taking out a bottle of whiskey and pouring himself a drink. He filled up more than half the glass, not caring at all.

His phone started ringing, making him groan as he went back to his room. He picked up the phone, a little glad he atleast had the sense to throw it on the bed and not the floor. He answered the call upon seeing that it was his sister.

"Hey." Tucker said.

"Hey Tuck, how are you?" Paige asked.

"Peachy." Tucker answered, taking a sip.

"Dan told me today was rough at work," Paige sighed, she knew about the case. Tucker had discussed it with her and they had decided they won't tell their parents until after the hearing was done, "Have you had dinner?"

"I'll have it now." Tucker said, very well knowing he would probably just eat some cereal. If he remembered to, that is.

"I don't trust you. I'm coming over." Paige said.

"You don't need to come over to feed me, I'm not a child, Paige," Tucker snapped. There was silence on his sister's end, making the man sigh, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at you. I'm just.. stressed."

"I know, Tuck. This is why I want to come over." Paige said calmly.

"No. Don't," Tucker paused, "I have to go out somewhere."

"You're not going to a bar to get drunk, are you?" Paige asked sternly, "You have been drinking too much lately, Tuck, make sure you don't cross any lines."

"I won't. I can control myself." Tucker reassured, but Paige scoffed.

"Yeah, you haven't controlled your alcohol intake since college. I'm not going to give you my liver, remember that before every sip you take." Paige said, making Tucker laugh. Something he hadn't done in a while.

"I'm getting late. I'll talk to you later." Tucker replied.

"Dinner tomorrow night? I'll make enchiladas." Paige asked.

"You mean Dan will make enchiladas." Tucker chuckled again.

"Hey! I help, okay?" Paige laughed, "Just come over with Dan after work."

"Sure. See you tomorrow." Tucker said. The two bid their goodbyes after that, and Tucker hung up. Finishing up his drink, he picked up his keys from the nightstand and left his apartment.

Hoping that a drive would help clear his mind, Tucker took out his car. And also because he knew if he had to drive back, he wouldn't end up drinking at some random pub. He turned on the radio, listening to some 70's rock while driving around aimlessly.

"Why the fuck did I think a drive around this city would help? Waste of gas." Tucker muttered to himself after about fifteen minutes of driving over potholes only to keep getting stuck in mild traffic.