-10-

What felt like endless nights after breaking Monomon's seal, you had decided that you wanted to relax. After eliminating the protection of all three Dreamers, Quirrel hadn't been feeling the same, and it worried you massively.  You knew that adventurers could get exhausted sometimes, but it looked like Quirrel got weaker with each passing day.

You realized that after last meeting in Monomon's Archives, you hadn't seen one another for a few days. Possibly a week.

You discreetly placed your feet onto the sandy floor of a somewhat beachy terrain: The Blue Lake. It was a vast, reflecting blue lake that stretched for a few miles. You had even heard rumors about the magnificent structures of the City of Tears being built below this lengthy body of water. You didn't mind though. You gazed deeply into the pretty colored shells that sat near the shore, along with the lightly colored sand covering small portions of the shells. This was only your second time coming across this area; the first time was slightly more unpleasant with the grouchy attitude from a warrior known as Tiso.

Snapping yourself back to reality, you realized that the familiar, dark blue hue of Quirrel's hood stood out from the more vibrantly colored setting. You wondered why he was here, sitting and staring out into the emptiness of the water. You tapped his shoulder and politely waited, as he turned himself to face you.

You could see the slightest hint of bags under his eyes. He looked tired, a little depressed in fact, yet he somehow was able to welcome you with a happy demeanor.

"(Y/N)! I wasn't expecting your arrival. Nice to see you again, my friend," He warmly spoke towards you, making you sadly smile in return. You desperately wanted to bring up a question. You wanted to know if he was okay.

"Hey, Quirrel. I can tell something's up. Is it alright if you can, well... tell me what's the matter?" You said, stifling a noticeable tear. He could notice your concern, for his face had shriveled slightly in nervousness.

"Nothing's wrong... it's just... I.... it's hard to explain," He sighed, then found the right words to proceed. "I have explored the boundaries of Hallownest twice. I have seen everything I needed to see. I just have this sudden, strong feeling that my time here is up..." He looked down at the ground, kicking away some sand particles with the anxiety he was concealing.

You weren't able to speak, extremely puzzled, but also miserable, to hear such words come out of Quirrel's mouth. He was normally optimistic and inquisitive, upbeat for all sorts of adventures, and always willing to conversate. But ever since the mask had been removed from his head, he was now acting different. His hesitation but honesty told you that what he had just told you was not a lie.

He seemed like he wanted to continue talking, so you allowed him to, gesturing him to do so with a hand motion. 

"I did want to say, however, that all my time spent in Hallownest was worth it. And, truthfully, I must say, that out of all the treasures I had discovered here, that becoming friends and learning more about you intrigued me the most."

You blushed, but only a little, remaining saddened by the continuation of his story. Now you were absolutely certain that he wasn't kidding around. You were still happy to hear that, however, for you never knew he felt so strongly interested in the bond you two formed.

"I just wanted to capture the beauty of Hallownest's landscapes, especially this one. Just one last time. I want to absorb the beautiful aspects of the nature in this civilization, with its sprawling infected and non-corrupted life, and its courageous fighters and protectors," He ended, soothing a bit more in how he was sitting. He seemed more laid-back, but sadder within each second.

You settled down next to him, placing your hand whole-heartedly on top of his, wanting to provide him with at least some comfort. He thankfully turned to you, closing his eyes, as if wanting to embrace the moment. You did the same, facing him before looking peacefully at the ocean for the remainder of your time together.

Alas, it was unknown that this would be the last moment that you would get to spend with your beloved best friend...

------

The next night, after awakening from the bench in Dirtmouth, you hopped towards the Blue Lake, imagining getting such a marvelous view of the crystal clear water again while sitting next to one another. You stopped short on your trail towards the end when you noticed something familiar sticking out from the ground.

Quirrel's nail.

You frantically looked down into the water, searching for any reminiscent of Quirrel being nearby or in the area currently. He would never leave his nail behind, would he?!

The real thought struck you hard in the heart, piercing into your mind like an arrow to a target's bullseye. It hurt so bad that you had knelt down to the sand, allowing for the beachy terrain to dirty your legs. Tears welled down, and you covered your face, sobbing as you knew what the answer was.

Quirrel was dead.

You weren't sure why he had done this to himself. You didn't like that things ended this way. You felt extremely miserable. You really had loved him, dedicated your entire life to providing all the devotion and care that you possibly could. 

Yet things had to end this way.

"But why... why Quirrel," You gasped, feeling like you were partially choking on your tears, but through an illiterate manner. You didn't even bother to stop yourself from continuing with your drastic crying.

As you continued pouring out tears, you carved the letters of Quirrel's name onto the sand.

"Q-U-I-R-," A sniffle, "R-E-," Another sob, "L."

You stared down at his name, encrypted onto the sand. It made you wanna tear up more, but just remembering him forever would do better than not ever acknowledging the fact that he was most likely walking along the sky now.

You wanted to join him up there, thinking you would be happy. But a feeling, deep down within you, told you that wasn't the right choice.

You backed off on your stupid idea, and dropped something next to his nail before settling down with your extreme mourning and, deplorably, took your time as you walked back to Dirtmouth, thinking about Quirrel every step in the way.

What you granted him was the gift of a Delicate Flower to express remembrance and love to him through the giving of just a flower with fragile silver petals. While you weren't there, Quirrel traced a heart into the sand, and managed to caress the gifted flower in his hands for a few seconds, a teardrop falling from the eyes of his new luminescent body.

"You were truly one of a kind, (Y/N)," He whispered softly, his words flowing along with the gently passing wind. He allowed for his spirit self to rest beside his nail, where his name was traced gracefully onto the sand. He smiled from beneath his mask, thinking about all the good times.

He wasn't lying when he said you were one of a kind.

That's what he truly liked about you. And that was something he could never forget.

(Sadly, this is actually the end of the Quirrel fanfic! I'm glad that a lot of you seemed to enjoy reading this while it was in the making. No, this isn't because I'm lazy, but this is because this is the end, and I sort of followed the game course.

I'm proud that this received more views than intended; thank you guys so much!

Hehe, P.S: If you would like to request the next fanfic that I work on, I would be glad to see what you guys come up with. I'm not so interested in Hazbin Hotel anymore, so don't ask for more of that, but you are gladly obliged to request for anything else. 

The more, the better! I like to be creative with writing these :D)