Great Expectations

Laurie glanced over his Latin work and grunted, "Oh do I yearn for Concord."

Fred Vaughn, his friend since childhood and now fellow student, guffawed, "I wonder how many people in Concord would yearn for Harvard."

"I think people in Concord are happy with the way their lives are, I wish I could stay there."

"Laurie, you know that it's a privilege to be here. Your future lies in this institution."

"Why exactly is my future dependent upon Harvard? Fred, don't you ever feel like your freedom is limited?"

"As a matter of fact, no, Laurie. I really don't. I have as much money as one could ever want and am attending a prestigious university that will launch me into my career with my family business."

"That's it! Exactly. You are launched into your family business. Fred, is that what you really want to do?"

"It might not be the fulfillment of a grandiose dream, but it is what I need to do."

"Why do we need to do anything if we already have the funds to live out the rest of our lives? Why is our freedom confined to the hopes of obtaining more money than we needn't in the first place?"

"Laurie, are you sincerely questioning a lifelong tradition of wealth? If I were you, I would be elated. Not many people get to live the lives we do."

"I wish I was one of those people."

"Stop longing for a life that you will never get back to, Laurie, it's unhealthy," Fred said insensitively.

He continued, "Look, the last thing you want is your grandfather to send a private tutor to come and help you study. Get back to work, we have expectations to fulfill."

Laurie sunk his head into the complex language illustrated in his book, Christmas was coming— he would soon return to his home.

Jo walked downstairs to find an open letter on the dining table and an envelope addressed to "Marmee".

Jo picked up the stiff paper and read:

Dearest Marmee,

I hope this letter finds you well. I would like to inform you that I will be coming home for Christmas. I apologize for the briefly written letter, but I have to attend to my Greek. I cannot wait to see all of you.

With love,

Theodore Laurence, your Laurie.

"Christopher Columbus! Marmee?! Is it true? He's coming?" Jo exclaimed.

"Why, it appears so my dear!" Marmee gleefully asserted.

"Oh, I wonder if he has read my book! I cannot wait to talk to him. It has been a whole century since I have been able to discuss life with my dearest old friend! How I miss my Teddy."

"Jo, do not forget that you broke this poor boy's heart. Things just can't go back to normal."

"So? Why not, Marmee? I see no reason why they couldn't!" Although Jo knew very well why they wouldn't.

"Jo, he has refrained from any conversation with you for six months. Some mending needs to occur."

"Six months is ample time to restore Laurie's broken heart! It will all go back to normal, I know it will."

"Be careful, Josephine. Love is complicated. Don't have any expectations for him, he's recovering."

"I won't, Marmee." Despite her affirmation to her mother, she did have expectations for Laurie, great ones.