The Market

The Market

Laurie woke up and thought about how he was going to have to go back to Harvard soon, which meant no more Jo. No more Marmee. No more Marches. He yanked his sheets off of his body and slowly arose.

At least we still have Christmas, and New Year's, Laurie thought to himself.

The air was cold which was normal for Concord, but something felt different. He saw the way Jo had looked in his eyes last night; granted he also remembers the endless hugs, hand-holding, and giggles they exchanged to no avail-- she still hadn't felt anything towards time, that is romantical. He sighed as he realized his fantasy of feeling was merely that: fantasy. He heard the way she had blatantly rejected the idea of even putting her fictional character with his and sighed the hope away.

He looked out at the portal to her room again and saw her sleeping, her hair was mangled as usual. He remembered what they had promised, although he wished the pact was made with everyone else too. No talking about it, not for the remainder of his visit, at least.

Tonight was to be all about the theatre, enjoying everyone's company-- not just Jo's (although, he couldn't help favoring her). He wanted to savor every moment he had in Concord for he knew it would end promptly.

He looked outside and saw the snow, it was so beautiful. Laurie prepared himself for the day and notified his grandfather of his plans.

"Very well. Theodore, I wanted to apologize for the way the dinner went the other night. I should have intervened--"

"Grandfather, there's nothing that could have been done. It was a conversation between Dario and Josephine, I didn't expect anything from you. We can't pretend like it didn't happen, you know." Laurie cringed at that last sentence, that's exactly what he and Jo had agreed to do. It was hypocritical.

"Theodore, it seems as if that is exactly what you are trying to do: pretend as if it didn't happen at all."

"I'm not grandfather, but I would hope you'd understand I would rather not speak about a rejected marriage proposal. It isn't my favored topic of conversation."

"Very well. We won't mention it again. Have fun at the theatre tonight, Theodore."

"Thank you, Grandfather."

Laurie grabbed his coat and hat and walked over to the Marches' house. Hannah greeted him with coffee and a blueberry muffin, one of her specialties, "Good morning, Laurie."

"Good morning Hannah, oh how I miss your pastries in the morning."

"The food at Harvard must be far better than the food I cook here!" Hannah laughed.

"Believe me, it's not nearly up to par. Is Jo up yet?"

"No, dear. I don't believe she is. She and Amy probably stayed up late last night, haven't seen each other in ages so I believe that would only be appropriate."

Teddy didn't find it appropriate to wake her, although he truly wished he could have seen her. He knew she drooled when she slept, but he found it quite adorable, "I guess I will wait. Where is Marmee?"

"Upstairs as well, they all must've been tired. I will go wake Jo, I know that she would kill me if I didn't wake her up while you were here." Hannah left briskly to Jo's room.

Jo felt a shake and jolted awake, "What's wrong?!"

"Nothing's wrong, dear. Laurie is here. It's nearly ten o'clock, you should be getting up now anyways." Hannah left.