The Letter

The Letter

Jo woke up in the morning and got Amy out of bed, "It's time to go over to Meg's, Amy."

Amy stretched, "Okay, I will be ready soon. Just give me five more minutes," and snuggled into her blanket.

"I will meet you over there," Jo decided to let her sleep. It was fine.

Jo walked over to her sister's house with nothing but sadness, what an odd couple of weeks it had been. Nothing was making sense, no happy endings–not like the ones in her book. Jo met John just as he was leaving, he told her Meg had had a tough night. She didn't sleep much, she was crying constantly with little to no break in-between her fits. John thanked Jo for volunteering to care for her first, and gave her a run-down of what was there to eat and prepare, then he left.

Jo knocked on Meg's door, "Meg, are you awake?"

"Yes, I am. You can come in," Meg said.

"How are you feeling?" Jo asked as she entered the room, unsure of what else to ask.

"I was in a lot of pain last night. I am feeling better though," Meg forced a smile.

"I am so sorry, Meg,' Jo grabbed Meg's hand and squeezed it gently, 'we are all here for you."

"Thank you, Jo. I know, I have the best family in the whole world."

"Is there anything I can do right now to make you feel better?"

"You could tell me what happened between you and Laurie, I believe that will help me take my mind off things."

"Meg, really? Is that the only thing I can do?"

"Well it's probably not the only thing, but it definitely is something!"

"How about we run through some ideas for my new book?"

"That will do, but you will have to tell me eventually you know.

Jo changed the subject, "Okay, so I was thinking of writing something about the war–"

"No, Jo. That is still a touchy subject for many, I don't know if it would be appropriate right now."

"You're probably right, okay... Well, what about a love story between a character inspired by Beth and Fred Vaughn?"

"Jo, do you really think Beth and Fred could have ever ended up together?"

"I don't know, but I could always make someone believe it!"

"Jo, you always do your best writing when it's for someone. Who would you want to write a story for?"

Laurie, the answer was quick to pop in Jo's head, but she daren't say that, "Marmee, maybe?" she said with hesitation.

"Hm, who did you really think of?"

"Marmee. I swear it."

"Well, if you want to write a story for Marmee it better be a good one. What would you want to write about?"

"Uh...I could figure something out?"

This is no use, I need Laurie's advice. He always had the best inspiration for my stories and my plays.

Just then, a little tap came from the outside of Meg's door, "May I come in?"

Meg smiled, "Of course, Amy. We were just talking about Jo's new book."

"Oh! What were you thinking?" Amy said excitedly.

"Jo said she wanted to write a book for Marmee–"

Meg was interrupted by Jo who clarified her thought, "I am not sure yet. I might want to write something else."

"Didn't Beth tell you that you always write better when you write for someone? Who would you want to write for?"

Meg laughed, "I asked her the same thing! She said 'Marmee,' but I don't believe for one second that was her true answer!"

"I don't believe it either, but I won't pry," Amy winked.

"Yes, thank you. Your fiance could learn a lesson or two from you on staying out of people's business," Jo stated.

"Jo, we are sisters. All of our business is each other's," Meg declared.

"Nevertheless, I am not sure about what I am going to write, nor do I feel the need to have it figured out," Jo tried to remain calm.

"All right, I won't ask any more questions. Amy, when are you and Dario leaving to meet his family? I am so excited for you!" Meg perked up thinking about her little sister getting married.

Amy, surprised Meg was so well composed, responded, "Well, we were actually going to extend our stay because of what happened..."

Meg snapped instantly, "No! Absolutely not. Do not prolong your stay here because of me!"

"No, really. I wasn't here when Beth passed,' Amy started to get choked up, 'I won't leave while my family is enduring another trauma. I won't do it. I just won't."

Jo looked over at Amy with shock as Amy continued, "I am so sorry that I was gone while all of the things with Beth were happening. I never would have ever wanted to be removed from you all and hate that I got to be removed from the pain that you all felt." Amy lowered her head, "I am so sorry."

"My dear, there is nothing to forgive. Beth would rather have had you in Europe than have had you here to watch her get sick. We do not harbor any ill-feeling towards you," Meg answered.

Jo, feeling her thoughts of jealousy and anger towards her younger sister subside, replied, "Amy, I am sorry. I have always held that against you."

"I understand, Jo. I should have been here to support you all." Amy felt awful.

"No, you only did what Beth wished of you. I am sorry that I held all of that anger and jealousy against you. I know you wanted to be there to support us, I know that." Jo felt silly as she confessed her sin to her sister, what a stupid thing to be angry over your sister about. She knew just as all of them did that they would do anything for each other, she didn't ever stop to think about how Amy felt.

Amy looked at Jo and said, "I will never forgive myself fully, but just know that from now on, I will always be here for both of you– no matter what country I am in."

All three girls joined Meg on the bed to embrace, the moment of closure felt so amazing for them all.

"My girls. I love you all." Marmee walked in the door and saw them hugging, it made her heart overjoyed. She had decided to come to Meg's to give Jo a break; she knew the letter she was about to give her would require her to be alone. She continued, "Jo, this is for you dear. Why don't you go home and come back tomorrow? You need rest."

Jo nodded and submitted to her mother's wishes as opened up the envelope and read:

Dear Jo,