Under the Umbrella

Under the Umbrella

Laurie waited all too long for her response, "Grandfather, what do I do if she doesn't reply?"

"Be patient, Theodore."

Laurie groaned as he waited around his room, "There's nothing we can do."

"Go explore the hotel! It's beautiful. I think there's a library– go read a book."

Laurie grabbed his coat and decided to heed his grandfather's advice, he explored the hotel. It was beautiful– he hadn't noticed before, probably because his mind was in a million different places prior to their delay. All he could think about was Jo. After some gradual searching, Laurie found the library and saw on the front display Little Women by Josephine March. He picked up the copy and sat down, flipping through it until he got to the rejected proposal:

"But you will after a while, and then what will become of me?"

"You'll love someone else too, like a sensible boy, and forget all this trouble."

"I can't love anyone else, and I'll never forget you, Jo, Never! Never!" with a stamp to emphasize his passionate words.

He remembered the words leaving his lips, he truly couldn't love anyone else. No matter how beautiful, polished, refined, classy, lady-like they were... No one could compare to her. No one and no place could make him forget his lovely Jo. He shut the book in anger and anxiety and he shut his eyes to rest.

Jo's carriage arrived at the hotel; they stopped and she panicked, What if he doesn't love me anymore? What if he rejects me? She couldn't bear facing him ever again if that were the case. The door was opened and an umbrella was given to her by her driver, "Miss, the rain is a bit unexpected, but I always come prepared. New York has strange weather you know, please take this umbrella as a gift of my gratitude. I never in a million years thought I would have the pleasure of driving you, Miss March. I have withheld my praises up until now as to avoid any discomfort, but you are an amazing author and I am so excited for you to publish more of your work."

Jo blushed at the kind compliment, "Why thank you, sir. I have withheld my praises of you as well, this was the most pleasurable carriage ride I have ever embarked on! Thank you for your compliments, I am hoping to find something to write about very soon. Take this as a token of my gratitude, please," She shoved all the money she had into the man's hands– which was, as one would expect of a well-off author, a significant amount.

"Thank you greatly, Miss March!" He was elated at the kind gesture and walked Jo's luggage to the front of the hotel.

Laurie was jolted awake, from what he had no idea, it was almost supernatural. The library was quiet and the lights were dimmed. That's strange, he thought. Laurie decided to check the weather, hopefully, it would clear up. He put down Little Women and made his way to the lobby.

Jo didn't know what to do, she stood still. The snow was gone, yet her body was frozen. She couldn't move.

Laurie reached the door and opened it and saw those long, blonde curls underneath the largest umbrella he had ever seen. Once he realized who it was, Laurie bolted as fast as he could to find her in the middle, underneath the umbrella in the pouring rain; he started crying as he held her.

Jo's eyes were overflowing with tears, "Teddy, I am so sorry. I am sorry for everything I did and I– I..."

Laurie grabbed her face and looked deeply into her eyes and kissed her, and Jo didn't care to resist. As he pulled away he whispered to her, "Do you love me, Jo?"

"I love you, Teddy."

"Marry me, Josephine March."

Jo's eyes enlarged, "Teddy, you just gave me the best idea for a book!"

"I'd love to hear it, but can you give me an answer first?" Laurie laughed.

"Of course, I'll marry you, Teddy, I'd have to be a fool to turn you down," Jo kissed him again as she looked into his beautiful green eyes.

"Well you did it once before, I just had to make sure."

Jo nudged him in the ribs, but Laurie didn't care.