The Trek

The Trek

Jo's heart was beating as fast as the horses' prances, thump thump thump. She had been riding the carriage for two days now and today they were arriving in New York. Aunt March was right, this was the most luxurious carriage she had ever ridden– even amidst a snow storm. The closer they got to New York, the more nervous she became. With each trot of the horses, her heartbeat quickened.

Jo couldn't sleep, all she could do was think and pray that Laurie would receive her as she wished he would. Has Aunt March been true? Had she loved him all this time? Jo thought back to writing about Laurie and Amy and how she had felt content with that ending– but the only reason she did was that she still got to see Laurie. Life without Laurie would be unlivable. The carriage stopped, Jo was worried. The door opened a few seconds later and the driver remorsefully replied, "I am sorry, miss. I am in need of a restroom." Jo awkwardly responded, "Oh, um. No problem. It would be nice to shake out my legs anyways." Jo hopped out onto the snowy ground and saw before her a train station, if only it had been working! She would have seen Laurie two days earlier, but she figured she had waited this long– two days wasn't much more, although they seemed to have taken an eternity. Jo was observing the snow-kissed trees when all of the sudden, she heard an all too familiar voice, "Josephine? Is that you?" Jo turned her head and found Violetta walking towards her, "Violetta! What are you doing here?"

"We are leaving New York, the train– as I am assuming you know– isn't running, but it's amazing what money can buy you!" Violetta pointed to her carriage, it was far nicer than the one she was riding in. Jo noted the stark contrast, "Why yes, I can see how nice yours is." Jo was annoyed.

"We are going to Philadelphia, we have heard that the weather is a bit nicer there. Is that true? Have you been there before?"

"Haven't," Jo shook her head.

"Well, we are hopeful. Why are you going to New York?" Violetta inquired.

Jo, just then, came to a realization... She had been to New York, and Laurie was there too, so she started to tear up, "I was hoping to visit Teddy..."

"How splendid... I just saw him the other day!"

"Huh, really..." Jo's mind started wandering, What if Teddy took a liking to her?

Violetta realized Jo was scared, "I am sure he would love to see you, Teddy is truly so sweet."

Jo's sadness turned to anger, "Teddy? Does he let you call him that?"

"Oh, no Jo. I've just decided to read your book again. I get used to calling him that because of how often your character says it in the book," Violetta defended her honor.

"I apologize," Jo felt bad for snapping at her. It wasn't her fault that she was beautiful, smart, and lovely.

Violetta gracefully responded, "Jo, every time I read your book I remember how perfect you two are together. I really can't help but think you were meant to be. If you don't love him, please make it clear to him. There are plenty of other girls–' Like yourself, thought Jo as Violetta continued, 'Who would love to marry him. He truly is a fine fellow."

Jo, not wanting to discuss with her much more nodded her head, "Thank you, Violetta."

Violetta looked at Jo, "I must get going, please think about what I have said. I pray for safe travels for you, Josephine."

Just then, Jo's driver came back and asked if she was ready to go; she politely waved to Violetta and boarded her carriage once more. Off to New York she went, where her and Laurie's fate awaited.