Distance

Distance

Laurie looked upon the meadow, the trees were green. Spring in Concord, nothing could ever be better than this. He glanced over his shoulder and found Jo walking right behind him, "Why did you drag me up this hill?" She panted for breath.

"Because of this–Jo, look at this," Laurie sighed and reached for her hand. The sun was just starting to set, the beauty was immeasurable. Jo, surprisingly to Laurie, didn't back away from his gesture; she grasped his hand tight and came right beside him.

"It truly is beautiful," Jo smiled.

"Yes, it is," Laurie smirked, he broke their hands apart and found the sides of her face. His hands caressed her soft cheeks and he grinned, "You are beautiful too."

Jo blushed, and again, to Laurie's surprise, didn't do anything to remove herself from the situation. Before Laurie could say another word, Jo's lips moved towards his.

Just then, Laurie was jolted awake, "Where are we?"

"We, are at the train station. Let's get moving, Theodore." His grandfather prompted his awakening.

Laurie stretched, "Grandfather, should we have stayed?"

"I think it's a little too late for remorse, Theodore. We have already made our plans. You were insistent upon going, now please let's go." His grandfather knew the suspense would keep his love for Jo growing, he knew the distance would do nothing but make them want each other more. He was hoping his plan would work. Nevertheless, the door of the carriage was opened and Mr. Laurence stepped out, gesturing for Laurie to follow. Begrudgingly, Laurie lowered himself onto the snow-laden ground of the train station and questioned, "Yes, I understand... But, Grandfather what if it doesn't work? What if I regret leaving and what if it just makes me miss her more? I tried so hard to forget her and Concord and the memories, yet no matter what I did they crept back to me." Laurie's eyes started to water as he continued, "What if I am doing the same thing I was before?"

Mr. Laurence put his arm around his grandson and looked at him with pity, "Theodore, do not live your life with regret. Let's just try this, and if it doesn't work– then it doesn't work. We should at least give it a try, don't you agree?"

"I guess you're right, Grandfather," Laurie said as they approached the entrance of the train station together.

Jo still held Meg unsure of what to do next, luckily Meg knew what to do: "Jo, please walk me to my bed."

Jo lifted her up slowly and gently walked her to her bedroom, placed a towel underneath her, and tucked her into bed, "I will be right back, Meg."

Meg's cries were muffled as Jo shut the door behind her, What do I do? Think, Jo, think...Marmee!

Jo ran out of Dovecote and back to her house, "Marmee!' she screamed 'Marmee! Please come quick!"

"What's wrong, my dear?" Marmee huffed from the kitchen as her daughter bombarded their house with yelling.

"It's Meg... she lost the baby," Jo's chin quivered.

Marmee grabbed her jacket and Jo's hand and left immediately for Dovecote. Jo had never seen Marmee run so quickly before, she imagined it is how fast she ran the first time she heard of Beth's illness. Upon arriving, Marmee looked back at Jo and gave her a hug. Jo interlocked her hand with Marmee's and entered the house with her. As they made their way back into the bedroom they found John standing beside her, crying, heartbroken, both for the loss of his unborn child and for the pain he knew his wife was enduring.

"Oh my love," Marmee approached Meg with tears in her eyes and love in her heart. Marmee felt for her eldest daughter, she too knew the pain of losing a child, she embraced her daughter and wrapped her in adoration.

Jo felt overwhelmed by the situation, not knowing how to comfort her sister in this loss. It all reminded her of Beth, someone so innocent– the least worthy of them all to die. The baby, the most innocent of all, was never even given a chance to live. Death was so ugly–Jo despised it. She decided to join Marmee, and John who had joined as well, in hugging Meg– all of them weeping.

Marmee got up from the bed and decided to let John and Meg have a moment alone, she pulled Jo outside, "Jo, go tell Amy and your father what has happened and go fetch the doctor. She will need to be examined."

"Yes, of course," Jo silently murmured.

"We will have to support her in this time, Jo, remember that." Marmee gracefully reminded Jo as she rubbed her arm.

Jo went home to tell the rest of the family what had happened. They were all devastated by the loss of the child. Jo could hardly handle the pain she felt for Meg, she wasn't great at showing it, but she could feel Meg's heart aching. The rest of the family went back to the house with Jo, accompanied by the doctor as well. The doctor confirmed what they had thought, she had lost the baby. He prescribed bed rest until she was well enough to be up again, meaning we would have to take care of her. Meg was silent throughout it all and did nothing but stare off into the distance with tears staining her cheeks.

The family exited the room, John was the first to speak, "I can take care of her."

"No, John. You have to work. We will take care of her," Mr. March added.

"He's right, John," Marmee added.

"I wish I could stay longer,' Amy whispered, 'I would love to be here to take care of her."

"When do you leave?" Jo asked, afraid of the answer.

"Two days," Amy said guiltily.

Amy always gets out of the hard things, doesn't she? Just like what happened with Beth, Jo thought to herself.

"I suggest that we push our trip back a few days, Amy. It's far more important to care for your sister in this time than it is to meet my family, we can meet them anytime," Dario stated his opinion– he didn't really want to leave, he had grown to love the Marches dearly and this loss affected him too.

"We will have to convince Aunt March, but I agree with you," Amy added.

Jo was humbled at that moment, "Maybe Amy and I can take the first shift tomorrow morning."

Everyone was hesitant knowing how much Jo had endured within a 24-hour period, but ultimately Jo's stubbornness defeated everyone's arguments, "We are taking the first shift and that's that. I know Meg would do the same for me."

John thanked Jo, "Thank you for always being there for your sisters, Josephine."

Jo smiled, "It's my pleasure."

They all walked back home together, leaving John and Meg alone at Dovecote. Jo got back home and slothfully climbed up the stairs, as she laid her head down to sleep she could only think of one thing that could bring comfort to her: talking to Laurie. She closed her eyes and thought of his beautiful green eyes and wished that he was there.