Christmas Eve Part Two

Christmas Eve Pt. 2

Jo ran home, again; she slammed her front door, slid down the door to the floor, and wept. Amy heard her sister's loud entrance, which used to be Amy's specialty. Amy stared at her sister with an insurmountable amount of sympathy, "Jo, what happened?"

Amy sunk down to the ground and sat next to her, she placed her hand on Jo's shoulder. Jo placed her head on top of Amy's head, "Amy, he's leaving again. He's going to Europe in a few days. He said he couldn't be around me--"

"Jo--"

"And that stupidly gorgeous and kind Violetta was there to sweep Laurie off of his feet!"

"Jo, you're being silly. She is an old family friend, she's related to Fred Vaughn! Laurie and she might as well be cousins. Also, I am sure he probably doesn't even see her that way, she's far younger than Laurie is."

"Yeah, you're right--"

Amy interrupted her, "Wait, why do you even care in the first place?"

Jo was angry that she had been caught, "He's my best friend and I don't want another girl taking my place."

"Josephine March, I don't think I have ever seen you so insecure in your life before. In fact, I truly cannot remember a time where I have seen insecurity in you at all. Stop worrying about someone taking your place, you are very special to Laurie. I don't think anyone could ever fill your shoes."

"I just can't believe he's leaving."

"I'm sorry, dear sister." Amy didn't want to pry any further, she knew her sister was hurting. The two sat there in silence, while Jo's mind wandered in her sadness.

Laurie stood alone, once more, after rejection from Jo. How many times would he have to endure this in his life before something changed? Laurie twisted and fiddled with Jo's present, he walked up the stairs, and carefully packed the present. He was leaving for New York in three days, from there they would depart to France, Spain, and possibly Italy. Mr. Laurence, his grandfather, knocked on his door: "Theodore, I saw two beautiful young women leaving here...One of them was unknown to me."

"Come in, grandfather."

Mr. Laurence walked in, "Who was she?"

"Grandfather, that was Violetta Vaughn-- Fred's cousin."

"Wow, what a beauty she has turned into! Although, I care more about Josephine than Ms. Vaughn-- what happened?"

"More rejection, that's all," Laurie sighed.

Mr. Laurence empathized with his grandson, he looked at Laurie dotingly, "Theodore, have I ever told you about your grandmother?"

"No, I can't recall."

"Believe it or not, she was a lot like Josephine. Stubborn, intelligent, even boyish, rough, and very very beautiful," Mr. Laurence reminisced.

"Yes, that's my Jo. However, Grandfather, your love story ended in children and joy. My story with Jo has ended with rejection and tears."

"Do you know how many times your grandmother rejected my proposal?"

"No--"

"Four times, Theodore. Four times. Not once, not twice, but four times. I never lost hope, I saw the way she looked at me and I knew deep down, she had a love for me. Look, I understand wanting to get away for a while, but listen to please: do not lose hope, and please don't run away from her. She may not be sure how to articulate her feelings for you, Laurie but I do know she loves you."

"Wouldn't kill her to tell me that." Laurie appreciated the gesture, but he couldn't think about anything or anyone else besides Jo.

"Please don't do anything you will regret, Theodore. You are both hurting, don't make it worse. We are going over to their house for Christmas Eve, by the way. Pull yourself together before we go." Mr. Laurence left Laurie's room and patted him on the back.

"Grandfather, can we please cancel?"

Mr. Laurence didn't reply, and Laurie knew the answer; he flung onto his bed and prayed: "Lord, give me peace. Let me celebrate your birthday in peace."

Amy decided to go over to Meg's to check in on her and offer her help for dinner, she also wanted to fill her in on Jo's situation. She walked over to Dovecote alone, leaving Dario with her parents. Amy slowly opened the door and found Meg over the stove, baking some sort of dessert for the dinner tonight, "Good morning, dear!" Meg gladly exclaimed.

"Merry Christmas Eve!"

"Why are you here so early?" Meg questioned.

Amy tried to be sweet, "I just wanted to see if you needed any help!"

Meg could see there was an ulterior motive, "Hm, and your real reason?"

"Oh, Meg. Laurie is leaving, Josephine saw Violetta Vaughn over there this morning and she found out through her that Laurie is leaving for Europe in three days," Amy spilled.

"That poor girl, how is she doing?" Meg asked caringly.

Amy was quick to respond, "Awfully, but it's her own doing really. She loves him and isn't admitting it. Laurie is just escaping any further pain Jo will inflict upon him."

"Yes, but Amy... You know how she is. She's stubborn, she doesn't know what's good for her. She lives her life off of impulses and defying what she believes is expected of her. Even if she truly loved him, she could never allow herself to give herself to Laurie-- it's too normal for her."

"Meg, isn't she lonely there? Just with Marmee and Father? Without Bethie and Laurie? Whom does she spend her time with?"

"I would imagine she is, but Amy even if she does love Laurie, Jo needs to realize it within her own time. Forcing her will only lessen her chances of realizing it, the further we encourage it the more adamant she will be about her lack of love."

"She's so incredibly difficult." Amy decided.

"You two aren't so different, then,' Meg jabbed, 'Now, stop standing there and help me make these pies."

Jo was in her room, trying to write her novel. She figured her anger and sadness could help to stir some creativity in her. She tried, but her tears kept staining her work. Jo grabbed a pillow and screamed at the top of her lungs into it, she was so frustrated with everything in her life. She couldn't stand how it was all turning out. Just as Jo started a new storyline, Hannah called from the kitchen: "Dinner's served!"

Jo didn't want to eat, but in the name of festivities, she forced herself down the stairs. At least she wouldn't have to see Laurie.