The Surprise

The Surprise

Jo and Laurie walked beside one another, Jo was so happy to be out in the frigid weather. The snow reminded her of herself, cold but fragile at the same time. As tough as she would have liked to be, Jo knew that she allowed the external factors of her life to control her demeanor. For now, everything was in its rightful order, and she knew nothing would affect her.

Laurie held the basket of food, warm soup packed in canisters, fruits, bread, and cheese. He looked out at the beautiful snowy landscape and, like Jo, loved that life was somewhat restored. Laurie despised Jo's rejection of his love but was happy to be there with her nonetheless.

"Why don't we stop here?' Jo asked, 'I figure it's not too far from the house, but still far enough so no one can see us."

"Are you embarrassed by me, Josephine March?" Teddy jokingly speculated.

Jo looked over at her dear friend and retorted with the same kiddingly tone, "Oh, indeed I am. How could I, such an esteemed author, be seen with a handsome wealthy Harvard man? My reputation would be utterly ruined!"

Laurie laughed at her compliment, a type of phrase that was often rare for Jo. Jo set down the blanket and Laurie the basket. Laurie fiddled around with Jo's present in his pocket, he ran his finger around the wrapping paper and was anxiously waiting for the right time to give the quill to his Jo.

Jo noticed his silence, "Teddy, what's wrong? Is something the matter?"

"Oh no, nothing at all. Just daydreaming."

"Can we eat now? I am starving. Plus, Hannah's right, I think I might freeze to death soon. Whose idea was this picnic anyways?"

"Yours, Jo."

"Nevermind that. Get on with the feast, sir!"

Laurie unpacked their hefty basket, Jo's mouth watered as she saw the delights Hannah had packed them: cheese, cookies, bread, fruit! Oh, the joy she had to see the array of delectable treats!

"Hannah's a saint I tell you," Laurie remarked as he too feasted his eyes upon the inviting food.

"We don't deserve her, that's for sure! Or at least I don't."

"Neither of us deserves a lot of the things we have, but we are blessed." Laurie wisely reminded Jo.

"You are such a mush, Teddy."

"And you are as cold as ice, Jo."

The two giggled as they recognized their attitudes and went on eating. The snow fell delicately upon the plains of Concord, it was truly a beautiful sight to see. The two hardly talked, not because it was awkward, or romantic, but because they were enjoying each other's presence--and also the delicious food. Their feast came to a gradual end, and Laurie prepared Jo's gift in his hand.

"Jo, I know we are a few days away from Christmas but I've got something for you. I wish to give it to you now, especially considering the news from Niles on the desired sequel."

"Teddy, I am quite intrigued! Although, you did not need to get me a gift."

"I know, but I know you have one for me as well so please do not argue," Laurie pulled out the box with the beautiful wrapping.

"Teddy, the box is itself a treasure!"

"Open it, Jo."

Jo carefully opened the box, avoiding the complete and utter destruction of its beautiful encasing. She nearly screamed as she opened the lid to find a beautiful new quill, "Theodore Laurence! You mustn't! This is too much!"

"I know you're not one for material things, but I figure this would be practical and it would remind you of me every time you write which I know would be every day."

"Teddy, thank you. This is the best present I have ever received!" Jo leaped up and hugged Laurie. Laurie spun her around with glee, "I am so glad you like the gift."

"I truly do. Well, on that wonderful note we should probably get going. I am starting to lose feeling in my toes."

"As am I. Now, with this present, there is a contingency!"

"What's that?" Jo asked curiously.

"You must write to me every day."

"I will write to you four times a day if it means you are able to understand how thankful I am!"

The two walked home joyfully. When the pair reached the Marches' home they found a carriage outside of the house.

"Oh my--" Jo dropped the blanket and ran straight into the house.

"Wait, Jo!" Laurie picked up the blanket and ran after her.