Delayed

Delayed

Laurie rolled out of bed, his dinner with Violetta was loathsome and he knew it too. He looked over at his grandfather's bed–he was gone. A note was left on the bedside table:

The snow has pushed back our travel. We will have to stay in New York until the weather clears, I will be back later today after I make some arrangements. Two letters came for you this morning, both from Concord. I think you should read them, it may make you feel better about our trip being delayed.

Laurie looked underneath his grandfather's note and found two letters addressed to him, "Teddy." His fingers scrambled to open the envelopes, How did she get my address? He wondered. Yet, at the same time, he didn't care. He sat down on his bed and read the first letter. He couldn't believe what had happened to know– Meg had lost her baby. This poor family had taken more loss than one ever should have to bear! He, similar to Amy, felt as if he had avoided his problems by removing himself altogether. Maybe this trip was too spontaneous, he should have just dealt with the issue at hand. Laurie started to grow angry with Jo, but also himself. Frustration started to arise, but confusion as well (he was still very confused about how Jo had gotten his address), yet as Laurie opened the letter–it all dissipated. He read Jo's last line:

I miss you. Come home.

Mr. Laurence came into the room, "Good morning, Theodore. Looks like we are staying here for at least another couple of days–the snow came at the wrong time, or rather we came at the wrong time."

"Oh..." Laurie said, still contemplating the meaning of Jo's words.

"How was your dinner?"

"Violetta is kind–"

"And how were you?"

"I was distracted..."

"By what?"

"More like 'by whom.' I kept talking about Jo," Laurie laid back on his bed.

Mr. Laurence shook his head, knowing his discernment was proven correct. Laurie didn't have to see his grandfather to understand his dismay, "Grandfather, I know. I know you thought it was a poor idea and you were right."

"Did she notice your indifference?"

"She was the one that mentioned it. I didn't even realize I was talking about her and how much I am going to miss Concord and I totally forgot the setting I was in."

"Do you plan on seeing her again?"

"Well, I am sure we will– we are stuck here for another two weeks."

"Let me re-phrase that: does she desire to see you again?"

"No, absolutely not. I truly thought being away from Jo would help me to forget, but–"

Mr. Laurence interrupted his grandson, "You can't forget someone you love, Theodore."

Laurie's foot started tapping, "I am fully aware of that now, Grandfather."

Mr. Laurence forgot entirely about the letters from home and thought he should change the subject, "And how are things back at home?" Laurie was about to explain the events, but Mr. Laurence's hands were eager to read the words set before him: "How awful..."

Laurie responded, "Which part?"

Mr. Laurence huffed, "About Meg losing her baby, Theodore! How awful that poor girl must feel. What a tragic event. Beth and now the baby too... What misfortune." Mr. Laurence's heart ached for the Marches as he too had lost his children. The pain felt for the Marches was deeper than the pain felt by Laurie, Mr. Laurence could empathize, not just sympathize, with their affliction. He continued, "I wish we were there with them to provide comfort in their time of need."

Laurie responded, "I wish I was there too."

"Theodore, I bet you do! Look how Jo writes to you!" Mr. Laurence inquired of his grandson.

"What do you mean 'how she writes to me?' Couldn't it just be the same as before? What's different now?"

Mr. Laurence glanced over the short letter and noticed "Theodore, do you know what she is trying to say? She needs you!"

It felt good to hear Mr. Laurence affirm what Laurie had doubted ever so greatly, "Grandfather, do you truly believe she does?"

Mr. Laurence came and patted Laurie on the back, "Son, she loves you."

Laurie's eyes welled with tears and pinched himself, it wasn't a dream. She loved him, "I need to tell her."

"We will be stuck here for a while, I don't think we will be able to make it back to Concord for a few days, if not weeks."

"I've waited this long!" Laurie got out a quill and looked at the ring she got him, and wrote a letter responding to her:

I love you too, Jo.

– Your Teddy

He sent it off, hopefully, she would reply.