Terrifying Visions (Amity Blight POV)

The woods were darker than usual tonight, and the air was much colder. I always had no problem going through them; it was the shortest route to get home after a long day of training with Madam Lilith. It was probably nothing, and I'm just exhausted from the spells I had to practice. That could be it. Just go home and have a hot meal — if Edric and Emira left anything for me — and plop right into bed. Good thing I have no school tomorrow, because I feel I can sleep for a... Crirustle!

What was that? I felt like my heart skipped a beat as I looked around. "Hello?" I asked, my voice echoing back at me. "Who's there?" There was no response. I must really be on edge; it's probably just a crow or something. I did wish I had my wand with me; a simple light spell like the ones Luz makes would be nice right about now.

Crirustle! There it was again. Crirustle! Crirustle! Okay, those were too close to just be... Crirustle! Crirustle! Crirustle! "Alright, who's out there?" Crirustle! Crirustle! "This isn't funny!" Crirustle! Crirustle! "Come out now!"

Gurrrraahrowl! I instantly regretted those words. A chill ran down my spine and made my entire body shudder. Out in the distance, I saw them — seven pairs of glowing violet eyes deep in the woods.

My breathing became more rapid as I stepped back. But with each step I took, the creatures drew closer until I could vaguely make out their hound-like shape. They all had two heads with one eye each and snarled as wine-colored drool leaked from their mouths and killed the plants on the ground.

"Get back!" I shouted, but there was no sound. I know I uttered the words, but there was no sound to them. "Get back!" I repeated, but there was still nothing. Why couldn't I speak? Owooooah! The lead beast howled from both heads, and they all charged at me as if I were there next meal.

"Someone! Help me!" I screamed — with no sound — as I turned and ran deeper into the woods. My heart thumped a mile a minute; my whole body was sweating, and panic enveloped my senses. It was so dark that I could barely make out what was in front of me. I could've been running in circles for all I knew, but I kept away from those things chasing me.

Owooooah! There was that howl again, I didn't dare look back as I just kept running. I prayed that either Madam Lilith or my brother and sister could hear the howls and find me. Crirustle! Crirustle! Crirustle! They were getting closer. I jumped over roots in front of me and dashed past low-hanging vines to distance myself from the beasts. Crirustle! Crirustle! Crirustle! But they weren't giving up the hunt.

I kept running until I noticed something in the corner of my eye. There was a tree with a narrow but squeezable opening, and I went for it. I pushed my way through and rested my back against the bark wall. Huff. Huff. Huff.

Crirustle! I immediately covered my mouth and peeked through the crack. The hounds were sniffing the area, searching for me. I stayed quiet, refused to even breathe, so as not to make even the faintest noise. Owooooah! The leader howled, and the beasts followed; I couldn't see them anymore, and the rustling was growing fainter, then there was silence.

A feeling of relief surged across my body as I could finally breathe again. What were those things, and why were they after me? And why can't I still make a single sound? What is going on?

I waited a few minutes before sticking my head out. I looked to my left, then I looked to my right; no sign of them, all clear. I pushed my way out and breathed. I was safe.

Dopp. Something tapped the top of my head. It was moist. It shouldn't be raining now. I touched it with my finger, and my eyes widened; the liquid was wine-colored. I was frozen, but I wanted to look up. Every part of my being was screaming at me not to, but I couldn't resist. Purple eyes and sharp teeth were the last things to greet my sight as I cried.