Brand of the Cold Flame (Lilith Clawthorne POV)

Skreeeeee! "There's no end to them!" I shouted as I cast more blue flames at them. Boosh! But for all my efforts, they just will not stay down.

"An endless enemy, it may be so! But to oblivion, they'll inevitably go!" Etrigan rhymes.

"Enough wit' the bleedin' rhymin'; jus' 'ack these schmucks," John said.

"But that's half the fun. When all is said and done." The demon continued finding his joy in our current circumstance as he tore apart another dozen before they inevitably got back up.

"We just 'ave t' keep 'er busy 'til ya sister puts the mockers on whatever Nolan's got goin' on in there. An' give 'im some blisters, while she's at it."

"Your struggle is pointless!" The Enchantress said as green flames sparked to life in her hands and tossed them right at me.

I quickly drew a circle. Bwoosh! The blue flames enveloped my form and teleported me away from the first attack. The Enchantress then twirled her wrists, but nothing happened. I could suddenly feel there was heat on my back and getting hotter. "Behind ya!" John shouted. I turned and saw the very Fireballs I evaded come back at me. I twirled my staff and formed a barrier. Boosh! Boosh!

I turned around to face the sorceress, and I leaped back as she was right in front of me now with two blades in her hands. She brought the first sword down, but it missed. But in that instant, I forgot about the second one. "Ahh!" I screamed as the tip slashed my stomach. I recoiled from the pain and clutched my wound. Little drops of blood dripped between my fingers as I felt my knees wobble. The Enchantress's blades combined to form a javelin, and she tossed it at me. I was in too much pain to focus and cast a proper Teleportation. Was this it for me?

"Et ego invocabo antiquos deorum, hoc blackstone sistat et benedicat nobis!" I heard John chant as he ran in front of me, reached into his coat, and pulled out what looked like coals before throwing them onto the ground. Suddenly, the coals transformed into both a solid and a liquid and surrounded us both in a sphere. Skrrratatoosh! I could hear the javelin shatter to pieces upon contact. I could focus long enough to cast a Light Spell, something as simple as Edalyn's human apprentice. "Are ya alrigh', Luv?" John asked.

"It's not as bad as it looks," I responded and cast a Healing Spell over the wound. I could feel it already closing and let out a sigh of relief as I laid against the... "John, what is this?"

"Jus' some onyx I picked up durin' a trip t' Central America."

"Where?"

"I'll tell ya another time. Jus' know the stuff's pretty bloody resilien' agains' six-thousand-year-ole witches."

Skreeeeee! Krrash! "Though you may try your best, Etrigan shall put you to rest!" I could hear the ferocious demon continuing to enjoy the carnage. To think someone like Jason Blood could be the host to such a violent creature... I guess it's a burden that he and Edalyn share.

"Y'know, I remember a righ' time when this job used t' be cushy, an' I didn't 'ave t' deal wit' finkbuggers like the bloody Enchantress. Back then, ye 'ad curly red 'air an' glasses." A seemingly nostalgic smile dressed John's face. "I'd be lyin' if I said tha' wasn't wha' go' me attracted t' ya when we firs' met." He's right; I had only been with the Emperor's Coven for a decade on the day we first met but hadn't changed my hair to how it is now. That came later as I climbed up the ranks. "I guess I'm no Spring chicken anymore." He darkly chuckled. "We should come up wit' a plan; a' 'his rate, we won't be leavin' 'ere anytime soon. Ye go' some figh' lef' in ya, Luv?"