Ex Affairs (Eda Clawthorne POV)

Constantine and I stepped out of the portal and were back on the Boiling Isles. It was now night. But something was wrong. Every hair on my neck's back was tingling as if telling me I should run from here. I spotted a figure in a cloak with a raven mask that it began to click. Without a word, I grabbed Constantine by his trench coat, and we hid behind a stack of barrels until the figure passed us. "Why did you bring us near an Emperor's Coven stronghold?" I asked, trying to remain quiet while giving him the brunt of my gripe.

"I'm not too thrilled bein' 'ere either, Luv," Constantine replied. "But if I was a bettin' bloke, this's where who we'll need will be."

"Your friend's in the Emperor's Coven!" That came out louder than I wanted. Luckily, no one else heard me. "You didn't think to mention this before dragging the most wanted person on the Boiling Isles to a location filled with them?"

"Relax, I 'ave this under control." Constantine rubbed his hands together.

"Cast super nos ad utrumque..." Rizzz. Quiet blue electricity began generating around Constantine's fingers. I quickly forced my hand over his mouth, "Mmph. Mmph. Mmph." Ffffffffffffff. The power fizzled out into smoke.

I detached my hand from my wrist as it remained clamped tightly to Constantine's jaw. I peeked over the barrels and saw two guards on high alert. "Did you sense that?" One asked the other.

"It was probably nothing." The second replied as they left to resume their patrol.

I let out a sigh and re-attached my hand back to my wrist. "What was that for?" Constantine asked me in an irritated manner.

"Members of the Emperor's Coven can sense magic," I told him. "You almost put the whole place on high alert."

"Ye didn't think t' mention this before?" Constantine asked me — much in the same manner that I asked him a few moments ago.

"Not so fun when the shoes on the other foot, is it?" I said oh so smugly. Constantine just grumbled to himself. Point proved.

"Looks like we're sneakin' in the ol' fashioned way."

"But before we do." I dug around into my hair and pulled out a flask of my special potion.

"An' what's that supposed t' be?"

"It's a safety precaution." I bit the cork off and spat it out before guzzling the whole thing down. Glug. Glug. Glug. Burp! I stored the empty bottle back into my hair. "Okay, now we can go."

Constantine and I made sure to stay close to the shadows. We slithered our way through the courtyard and kept our eyes peeled for any large objects we could hide behind. We spotted an opening where we could dash straight for the central tower without any guards noticing us and took it. There was only one guard on duty there, and he barely looked half-awake. I tiptoed over and tapped his shoulder. He turned. Thwack! I slammed my staff down on his head, and I dragged his out-cold body behind some hay.

"Alrigh', she should be up there," Constantine said, pointing up.

I nodded then looked at my staff. "Owlbert." The Palisman came to life. "I need you to be an adorable little lookout while Constantine and I are up there, understand?"

Hoot. Owlbert saluted with his wing.

"Great." I gave him a thumbs-up, and he flew off as we entered the tower.

(~~~~)

We snuck around the inside of the tower just like we did outside. Well, not exactly like outside. There weren't as many hiding spots indoors as there were outdoors. But we managed to get up several floors when I heard a familiar voice from a nearby room. "Mrs. Blight, you must understand that resources are being spread thin to find the other missing children. But I assure you, I have the best men and women at my disposal searing the Isles. We will find your daughter." I peeked inside and found Lily talking to the mother of the girl Luz likes via a magical mirror.