chapter 7

Lisa felt her own heart clench as she watched the confrontation. She could see Chaeyoung breaking by the second. That hurt her more than it had probably hurt Chaeyoung. Because Chaeyoung's feelings were directly tied to Lisa's, except they were intensified by like four. Or five.

When she saw Chaeyoung make a break, she was still standing there, completely frozen. Her mouth hung open. Her gaze was fixed on where Chaeyoung had just exited through the door, clearly crying and obviously upset. Lisa felt like crying too after seeing what had happened. She'd understood how much Chaeyoung wanted to believe Zane. And she saw the way her trust just crumbled.

"Go find her. Talk to her. Calm her down. I got this. His Korean beatdown is long overdue," Jisoo said in a low voice that gave Lisa a chill. She pushed her out of the way, and Lisa shuffled down the hall quickly. She took Jisoo's threat to Zane very seriously and didn't wanna be there to witness the aftermath. Or murder. She didn't want to see that. She wanted to go console Chaeyoung.

Lisa knew just where to find her. Unless she actually ditched school and went home to cry like Lisa did that one time, she should have a pretty good idea of where she went. Her need to comfort her increased as the seconds ticked on. Her power-walk sped up to a jog. Soon enough, she entered the staircase and easily distinguished the sobs coming from above.

She slowly approached her, not wanting to brave the backlash that would come from the situation. Chaeyoung was volatile when she was upset, and kind of unpredictable. But Lisa was always able to get through her barriers and get her to confide in her about the roots of her problems. She hoped her luck would play out this time. She didn't want Chaeyoung to push her away in the heat of the moment. She made herself visible before she spoke. Chaeyoung sensed her presence and slowly looked up at her with puffy eyes. The sight made Lisa want to run over and hug her forever.

"Go ahead," Chaeyoung said sardonically.

"What?" Lisa questioned. Wait, did she just read her mind?

" 'I told you so'. Go ahead. Say it," she requested bitterly as she shifted her gaze back down to the floor.

Oh, okay. No mind reading had commenced.

Lisa steeled herself as she grasped the railing. "Chaeyoung... You know I'm not gonna say that..." she countered quietly as she slowly took a seat next to her.

"How could I be so fucking stupid?" Chaeyoung mumbled to herself rather than Lisa.

If she was being honest, Lisa was wondering that too. But she definitely wasn't going to second that while her best friend was crying. As she looked over at her, she saw that Chaeyoung was hunched over with her knees to her chest. Her face was hidden in her arms, and she was breathing heavily. Lisa felt awkward. Should she hug her? Should she rub her back? Should she just leave her alone? She didn't know. But doing nothing was not an option.

She slid a bit closer to Chaeyoung, cautiously putting her arm around her. Chaeyoung leaned into her slightly, and that was all of the confirmation Lisa needed. She pulled Chaeyoung into a full-fledged hug, not caring about the tears or snot that were sure to stain her shirt later on. Chaeyoung sobbed quietly into Lisa's chest, trying not to be too loud or obnoxious.

Chaeyoung wondered why Lisa was even there. She had literally just blown up on her at the lunch table, yet here she was holding her like none of it had happened. Chaeyoung had a soft spot for Lisa, and defining moments like these proved why. She took initiative to care for her and make sure she was okay while the other girls went on about their business. Somi did sometimes, but it was mostly Lisa. Lisa was the one there, holding Chaeyoung in her arms and unknowingly mending her broken pieces.