chapter 25

Plot twist.

"Lisa?" Chaeyoung squeaked in response, just as surprised to see her as Lisa was.

Destiny had a funny way of working out in the universe. She'd come here to be alone, only to find the very cause of her inner turmoil sitting right there. It was like their time had run out, forcing the two to be together by some miraculous twist of fate. And what were the odds? Lisa skipped school just like Chaeyoung had. Neither had seriously done it before, and the one time they did, they ended up in the same place. It was serendipitous.

"Hi..." Lisa greeted her, already feeling awkward. She closed her journal timidly and made a move to stand up, suddenly hit with the sense that she was intruding.

"Uh, what's up?" Chaeyoung said cautiously, slowly making her way over to Lisa. Her confusion was ill-disguised. Although she was ecstatic to see Lisa here, her face betrayed her emotions. Lisa gathered that she was upset with her for being here, but it was quite the contrary.

"Nothing. I just came here to... I don't know, actually. I guess I just kind of ended up here... But I'll go," Lisa excused herself quickly. The awkwardness between them was killing her.

Chaeyoung watched her scramble to get up in amusement. She was so cute when she was nervous. Chaeyoung looked on as Lisa dropped her journal in the process of standing up. When she bent over to pick it up, her phone slipped out of her pocket. While picking up her phone and the journal, she refused to look up at Chaeyoung. The older girl just decided to let her finish before saying anything.

"Lili, you don't have to go anywhere," Chaeyoung said softly. A small laugh escaped her lips at Lisa's flustered antics.

"No, this is your spot. I'm not even supposed to - I don't even know why I'm here," Lisa shook her head and insisted on leaving. If she would've taken the time to look at Chaeyoung, just once, she would've seen the tender expression she wore. It would've been easy to tell that she didn't want her to leave at all.

Chaeyoung crossed her arms and leaned against the tree branch, waiting for Lisa to face her. Lisa was too busy looking for an alternate escape route, seeing how Chaeyoung was blocking the only one she knew of. Crawling out through the little outlook in the bushes crossed her mind, but that would just make her look stupid. Taking her clumsiness into consideration, she'd probably fall. She could always ask her to move, but that would probably be rude. Why wasn't teleportation a thing yet?

"Sorry," Lisa said meekly, moving towards the exit and just hoping she'd move on her own.

"What are you sorry for?" Chaeyoung questioned. "If I remember correctly, this is our spot now. Just like the staircase," she pointed out.

"Oh," Lisa mumbled. She looked up at Chaeyoung, but was unable to read her as well as she hoped.

"You have the right to be here just as much as I do," Chaeyoung smiled. The smile calmed Lisa's nerves a little bit. Maybe this wouldn't go so badly after all.

"I guess," Lisa shrugged, despite the fact that she didn't really agree much.

"Can you come here?" Chaeyoung requested evasively. Disregarding the conflicted way she felt about her now, she wanted her affection. She craved it. She opened her arms wide and looked at her expectantly.

Lisa didn't argue, but instead found herself moving towards Chaeyoung without hesitation. Chaeyoung's grin only widened when she saw Lisa coming.

Lisa immediately closed the space between them. Long arms instinctively wrapped around Chaeyoung's body and their bodies fit perfectly together. Lisa nuzzled her face into her neck and inhaled the scent she'd been missing so much. Chaeyoung did the same, really taking the time to appreciate this hug. Thin fingers stroked Lisa's back slowly and she tried to recall the last time the two of them had been this close. The tension and awkwardness between the two girls faded with every second spent in the other's arms. Being in Chaeyoung's arms felt like home, and she was definitely homesick.