chapter 32

"You've got it all over your face, Lili," Chaeyoung laughed as she tried to wipe excess frosting off of Lisa's chin. "How old are you again?"

"I am seventeen and I'm proud," Lisa grinned cheekily and allowed Chaeyoung to clean her off. It was ridiculous how much she'd spilled over the course of the past five minutes. There were crumbs in her lap and frosting on her shirt.

"My cousins eat better than you and they're like, one? I think?" Chaeyoung gave up on trying to help and reverted to using her own fork to eat.

"Good for them," Lisa stuck her tongue out and finished eating. Chaeyoung was so civil, with her napkin in her lap and her slow, calculated mouthfuls. Lisa didn't have time for that.

"You're such a baby," Chaeyoung continued to comment on her girlfriend's eating style.

"Mhm, and I'm your baby. So who's the winner here?" Lisa quipped, unable to be annoyed by her comments on this particular day.

"Me, because you're all mine," Chaeyoung countered and scooted her chair closer to Lisa. Holding her mini plate with one hand, she hooked the other behind Lisa's back to pull her into her side.

"Nope. It's me, because I'm yours," Lisa countered and leaned up to kiss Chaeyoung's jawline.

Chaeyoung giggled and brought her hand to where she'd just been kissed. "I feel like I have frosting there now..."

"If you do, I'll get it," Lisa smirked and before Chaeyoung could protest, her lips were attached to her jawline once more. There was no frosting there at all, but Lisa trailed her tongue along it nonetheless. Chaeyoung was fine with her actions until she began to suck on it, then she meagerly leaned away.

"I - Uh, I think you got it..." Chaeyoung said shyly, now taking on a red tint to her cheeks.

"Me too," Lisa giggled and directed her attention back to her halfway-devoured cake.

The two of them sat in silence again until the last of their cake was finished. Lisa had been people watching in admiration of her work. This party was a success, thanks to her. Jennie too, but mostly her in her eyes. All of these lovely people (except for Rachel) were gathered here to celebrate the people she loved the most. Everyone was here because of her most cherished friends. Whether they held the same sentiment in their hearts as they did to Lisa, she didn't care. She was just grateful that everyone could celebrate together.

"When do you want your gift?" Lisa spoke after her cake was consumed.

"Can I have it now?" Chaeyoung paused in eating the last portion of hers.

"No, not while everyone is here," Lisa shook her head. She looked around at the crowd, then up at her window where her guitar was. Internally, she was gauging how perceptible things were to the outside from up there.

"Well then can I at least have a hint about what it is, babe?" Chaeyoung sighed and placed her fork on her plate.

"No," Lisa smirked victoriously, knowing she had the upper hand.

"You are so annoying," Chaeyoung rolled her eyes and set the plate down on the table.

"Let's dance," Lisa proposed, stealthily ignoring her comment, leaping out of her seat and taking Chaeyoung's hand. She hoisted her up and led her away from the table and towards the center of her backyard.

Not many people were dancing, because everyone was mostly talking or still eating their cake. Chaeyoung found herself in the middle of her girlfriend's backyard and everyone's eyes seemed to be on her at this particular moment. Lisa grabbed her other hand and started jumping around, and Chaeyoung was pleased with how carefree she seemed today. Chaeyoung dropped her guard and danced lightheartedly with her girlfriend, terribly offbeat to the music that played overhead. They were skipping and twirling and leaping and laughing together, having the time of their lives.