chapter 20

Lisa took Rosalie's words very seriously. For the rest of that Saturday, she didn't bother texting or calling Chaeyoung. It wasn't like Chaeyoung hadn't made an effort, though. She'd texted her a few times just to make sure she was alright, but after several failed endeavors with no responses whatsoever, she gave up. Sunday, no interactions between them occurred at all. Lisa received no texts, calls, or visits from Chaeyoung. Which was rare. Chaeyoung was always with her in some way, whether she was right beside her or on FaceTime or something. She was always there. But she wasn't.

It was mostly Lisa's fault. She took Rosalie too literally. She interpreted it to mean don't talk to Chaeyoung at all. So she didn't. And she couldn't bring herself to respond to anything. Each time she was about to, she was reminded that she wasn't supposed to. Because her mom didn't want her seeing her anymore.

For the most part, the rest of her weekend was spent in her room. She spent hours upon hours just laying there, thinking of a solemn reflection. She found it kind of funny how vastly things had changed. They'd gone from ultimate secrecy to complete recklessness. This weekend had been a whirlwind. Friday night was amazing, followed by a great Saturday morning. But Saturday evening was when everything crashed. Right when things were finally starting to go in the preferred direction. And here she was on Sunday, looking back on all of it.

Lisa felt like she'd shed enough tears about the situation. But she was trying to be optimistic. If this was the end, then she was grateful that it lasted that long. There were still times where she had trouble picturing herself with Chaeyoung the way she actually was. They were still dating, she assumed. They just weren't exactly on speaking terms right now.

Her parents caught onto the shift. They'd been observing Lisa's recent social behavior. There was once a time she barely left her room, but now she was rarely in the house. Amy and Marco weren't exactly informed on what caused the change, but they were grateful that Lisa was finally branching out. But she'd reverted to her old ways. They were kind of concerned.

"Lisa?" Amy prompted quietly. She knocked on the door softly and peeped her head inside.

Lisa turned at the sound of her voice, but didn't have the energy to speak. She just looked at her mother expectantly, waiting to see what she wanted.

"Are you alright?" Amy asked as she leaned against the door frame. Lisa shrugged and laid her head back down on the pillow. Amy sighed and crossed the room, sitting on the edge of Lisa's bed. She soothingly trailed her finger along Lisa's back. She was sensitive to her situation, although she was clueless as to what it was.

Lisa debated on telling her. Not that it would matter anyway. It probably wouldn't change anything. They'd probably have to break up soon. You couldn't exactly date someone you weren't supposed to be seeing. And Amy's gesture was comforting, but it saddened her at the same time. Chaeyoung did that same exact thing whenever she was feeling down.

"Chaeyoung's mom said I couldn't see her anymore," Lisa admitted after a few more seconds.

"Why would she say that?" Amy asked with a frown.

"Because..." Lisa trailed.

Amy wondered if Lisa would admit to dating Chaeyoung. She knew all along. And Marco knew. It wasn't exactly rocket science. Anyone could catch on to the never-ending smiles and clear joy Chaeyoung elicited. The hand holding and cuddling would've been indication enough, if the few times they'd caught them kissing didn't spell it out for them. And they were fine with it. As long as Lisa was happy, it was fine. Perhaps Rosalie could learn a few things from the Manoban's.

"We um..." Lisa tried to find the words, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. "She just said I couldn't see her anymore," she settled on saying. She didn't want to lie, but she really couldn't share that with her. Not right now.