chapter 28.5

"Call me biased, but I really do think that brown eyes are my favorite," Chaeyoung shared as she looked deeply into the brown ones that'd captured her heart.

"That's impossible. Brown eyes are just... Boring," Lisa deadpanned, referring to herself more specifically. She'd seen countless numbers of beautiful brown or hazel eyes, but for the most part, she didn't find them all that appealing. Except Chaeyoung’s.

"Brown eyes don't get the recognition they deserve," Chaeyoung countered indignantly. In truth, she found them just as stunning as every other shade. In the sunlight in particular, they were absolutely breathtaking. Well, at least Lisa's were.

"That's because they don't deserve any. My eyes compared to yours are like day and night, Rosie..." Lisa stood her ground. "Well, I wouldn't say they don't deserve any... Because I kind of like my eyes in the sun sometimes. But I mean like, green eyes get the hype they deserve. So do blue eyes."

"I'm going to start a trend. It's already on tumblr, but I'm bringing it to real life. Hashtag romanticize brown eyes 2021," Chaeyoung giggled, pointing up at her girlfriend's gorgeous orbs. She didn't know why she was so enamored with Lisa's eyes. They had a pretty shape and color, as simple as that.

"I've seen that. They're just all so boring, I guess I don't see it," Lisa mumbled as she recalled the few posts she'd come across.

"Maybe it's just your eyes I love so much then," Chaeyoung shrugged as she glanced at them again. She brushed her fingers over Lisa's knuckles, making the younger girl smile in return. They both leaned in simultaneously for a kiss. Just as they came into contact, Mason's voice broke them away.

"I don't mean to intrude on your romance fest back there," Mason's voice carried from the driver's seat, making their heads turn in his direction. "But what exactly do you all want to do today? Ally, I'm talking to you too."

"I think I saw something about a carnival in one of those brochures," Alice recalled as she removed one of her headphones.

"That sounds fun," Lisa agreed giddily. Chaeyoung agreed silently, simply nodding her head.

"If everyone is on board with that suggestion, I guess we're headed to the carnival," Mason finalized their plans with both hands on the wheel.

-

If only decisions were that simple. What they thought they'd settled on had completely flown out of the window when Lisa and Chaeyoung obtained another brochure. They were on their way to the carnival, but had now resorted to standing in the middle of a crowd as the two teenagers tried to find a consensus on one thing.

"I'm hungry, so I want to go on one of the food tours... But I also want to go see the carnival," Lisa reiterated for the fourth time. Both sounded appealing. Why not both? "I mean, the carnival sounds cool, but so does going to the Opera House... And the-" Lisa rambled on as her eyes darted from attraction to attraction on the brochure she'd gotten from Alice, until Chaeyoung took it away from her.

"You're always hungry. But we only have two choices, Lili," Chaeyoung groaned. Lisa was possibly the most indecisive human on the planet. Their hands were intertwined as they stood in the heart of Venice, looking for more tourist attractions. "Tours or the carnival?"

"And it's not the same carnival you have in mind," Mason added, addressing the quarrelsome pair. In the time they'd been arguing, he took to researching the said carnival. In doing so, he found that it wasn't what anyone was probably thinking. "Have you ever heard of Mardi Gras?"

"Yeah? Is that what it is?" Lisa asked, growing more excited at the thought. That sounded more fun than eating.

"By that, I meant that it's more like a festival. There are no rides or cotton candy like what you've probably painted a picture of up there," Mason explained, gesturing to Lisa's head and all of her wild ideas.