Chapter 17: Detention

The next morning Emalia woke very early. She lay in her bed, the dorm was quiet other than the occasional snore from Alicia. It was still dark she was unsure what time it was, but she was sure it was at least very early morning. Not that she had slept much, she was tired. Her mind was a whirlpool of emotions. She felt that dull ache under her skin.

'Why does Fred bother me so much.' She thought to herself. 'I do not know how I feel about him, but I can feel myself gravitating towards him.' 

Emalia mulled over these thoughts for a while, but at some point, she must have drifted off again.What seemed like mere minutes later, Emalia was shaken awake by Alicia. 

'Emalia wake up or you are going to miss breakfast.' She exclaimed. 

Emalia groaned 'Ugh Alicia why?' 

Alicia grinned at her 'Sorry I did try less violent methods of waking you up but you were out for the count'.

Fred was awake before everyone else in his dorm. Emalia was on his mind again. 

'Her eyes.' He thought to himself 'there was so much pain there... did I cause that?' He was thinking about this for a while until the rest of the boys began to stir.

After brief chit chat, they all got up and made their way down to the Great Hall for breakfast. When they arrived Fred noticed that Emalia, Alicia and Angelina had already arrived and were already eating. 'I should keep my distance from Emalia for a few days' decided Fred as he sat down beside Lee.

Emalia's eyes passed over the three boys as they sat down, lingering on Fred's for a few seconds more. She found herself hoping that he would look up and meet her eye, but he turned to talk to George. 

'Hey' exclaimed Angelina 'Did you see? Quidditch trials this Saturday.' Everyone turned to face her.

Fred allowed his eyes to linger a little longer on Emalia before turning his attention to Angelina. 'Are you planning of trying out Angelina?' asked George. 

'Of course!' she replied 'Alicia is too'. Alicia nodded, her mouth full of cereal.

'George and I are as well' said Fred.

'Awesome' said Alicia as she swallowed her food. 'What about you Lee?' she asked. 

Lee shook his head 'Nah. Not me, but they are trying out new commentators now that McNully has left. So I was thinking I would try out for that.' He grinned. 

Angelina laughed 'Well there is no better chatterbox'. 

George looked over at Emalia 'How about you Emalia? Any interest in Quidditch?'

Emalia flushed slightly and said, 'I'm a decent flier but my ability to stay on a broom and catch a ball is non-existent.' Angelina laughed.

Alicia gave her a reassuring look 'I would trade you my Quidditch skills for your potion skills in a heartbeat' she sighed. The conversation dwindled as they ate their breakfasts and then set off to Herbology.

The rest of the week passed without much incident. The Professors began assigning them more homework which meant spending time doing it in the common room. Emalia preferred the library 'It's quieter' she insisted to Alicia who could not understand why she did not stay with the group in the common room.

Fred and Emalia's interactions were basically non-existent past acknowledging each other. George had begun to tease Fred about Emalia. 

'I think she is the first girl to get under your skin Freddie dearest' teased George that Thursday after a particularly boring History of Magic class.