Chapter 2: The Path to Beauxbatons

Emalia arrived in the middle of a forest. The sunlight shone through the gaps between the trees lighting up the undergrowth that surrounded her. The air was warmer than back at home, she could feel it on her skin and when she inhaled through her nose. She was alone, but unafraid even in this unfamiliar terrain.

She heard a small pop from behind her which caused her to turn around suddenly. Standing front of her a tall witch with willowy brown hair and bright green eyes, in a place which Emalia was sure was empty just moments ago.

'Good evening Miss Potter.' Said the tall witch 'My name is Professor Guinevere, I am the charms mistress. The Headmistress bid me come collect you as she is currently indisposed.' She smiled brightly, almost glowing when she did. Emalia smiled back and introduced herself. It was good manners and Albus had raised her to be polite.

Professor Guinevere stopped to examine the child. 'Something about this child is vaguely familiar.' she thought to herself. Professor Guinevere then offered her arm to Emalia 'Now if you are ready to leave we shall proceed to the nearby town and then to the palace.' She said simply.

Emalia was confused. Dumbledore had explained to her that she would be arriving a good deal away from the school. Did this teacher expect her to walk all the way there? 'Surely not!' she thought. Emalia cleared her throat, which caused Professor Guinevere to look down at her quizzically.

'Excuse me Professor, may I ask how are we supposed to get to the school? Albus told me that I would arrive possibly miles away from the school. Will we be walking?' she asked. 

Professor Guinevere chuckled 'Goodness me child no. I am sorry I should have explained more thoroughly. We shall be apparating. Since you cannot apparate by yourself yet I will assist you. If you grab my arm and hold on tightly then I will apparate and we shall arrive in the small town near the palace.'

There was a brief pause as Professor Guinevere waited for Emalia to comprehend what was being said. 'I must warn you child that it may be a little uncomfortable but afterwards you will be fine. Now, grab my arm and hold on tight please.' She said smiling down at Emalia.

Grabbing Professor Guinevere's arm tightly Emalia was excited, she had only read about apparation in books and what she had asked Albus.

 'Here we go Miss Potter' said Guinevere 'Hold on tightly.' She turned in the spot and with a small pop the forest was empty again except for the creatures that dwelt there.

Emalia felt like she was being squeezed into a tiny tube, then suddenly she was stretched out to her normal form again. She felt disorientated at first but gained control of her composure. She looked around her; she was in the centre of a little village. A sense of fear came over her. 

'What if Muggles saw us apparate here?' she thought her eyes grew wider the more she thought about it. 'This village is a magical community, no Muggles live here' said Professor Guinevere as if she had read what was on her mind.

'There are quite a few of these magical villages around here. The Beauxbatons Palace is close by. We will fly to the entrance of the grounds and then walk from there.' Professor Guinevere took out her wand raised it and summoned some brooms. 'Can you fly?' she asked looking at Emalia.

Emalia smiled. She remembered when Dumbledore bought her a broom for her eighth birthday, a nice Cleansweep Five. She loved the freedom she felt when she was up in the air. Although she had to be careful not to be seen by any Muggles so she would just stick to the back garden. 'I can fly Professor.' She replied.

The two of them then mounted the brooms and headed toward the entrance of the school. When Emalia first saw the academy, she noticed that it looked different to what she imagined it to be. It was a beautiful large shining palace; she had thought it would have been an old castle like Hogwarts.

She could not have been more wrong. The grounds were massive and grandiose. Similar in size to that of Hogwarts but much more ornate. It was almost as if it was preserved in resin it was so perfect it hardly seemed real.

Professor Guinevere noticed the amazement on Emalia's face. 'Beautiful isn't it?' she said 'I think you will like it here Emalia.' Looking at the surroundings, Emalia finally started to believe that for once she felt that she was meant to be here, like a part of her belonged here.

Professor Guinevere indicated towards an open space just in front of the gleaming castle. 'We will land over there right in front of the castle. Most students have already arrived, but term does not start officially until the thirtieth, so you will have a day or two to get familiar with your surroundings.'

As they began their descent, Emalia began to genuinely look forward to attending school here. They landed on the perfectly trimmed lawn, Professor Guinevere escorted Emalia into the palace.