Chapter 22: Two Steps Forwards

Fred dumped his belongings on his bed and rushed down to the Common room. He looked around but couldn't see her. 'Oi Alicia, is Emalia in your dormitory?' 

Alicia looked up at Fred and shook her head. Fred shouted a quick 'Thanks' in her direction before leaving the common room. 

'Ok, if I was Emalia where would I be?' Fred chuckled to himself 'Library' and he turned and ran as fast as he could towards the library.

Last day of the Christmas holidays, no one was in the library, save for a silvery-haired Emalia Potter. Fred walked in and saw her, her brow furrowed as she concentrated on what she was reading. Fred's heart soared. 

'Psssst Emalia' he whispered. Emalia looked up, confused, wondering who had called her name, but once she saw Fred her face lit up with joy. She got up out of her chair and ran towards him. He gathered her up in a hug, squeezing her, which she returned.When he put her down, her face was flushed a light pink and her eyes were sparkling.

'How was your Christmas?' Fred smiled 'Good, Mum was glad to have everyone home, I think she is terrified Charlie is going to run off and never come home' 

Emalia laughed which received a lot of shushing from Madam Pince. Emalia covered her mouth with her hand trying to contain her giggles. She grabbed her stuff and pulling Fred by the hand, led him out of the library.

'How was your Christmas?' they asked each other at the same time. Emalia laughed. 

'My Christmas was good, quiet though very few people stayed behind and no one below fifth year' Emalia shrugged 'But I kept myself busy for the most part. How was your Christmas Fred?'

Fred grinned 'Good, it was nice to be home. A bit chilly, but Bill managed to get rid of the snowballs out of mine and George's room.' 

Emalia smiled devilishly 'I told you Fred Weasley, I am not to be trifled with.' Fred held his hands up in front of him feigning surrender and the two of them fell into a fit of giddy laughter.

The holidays were well and truly over, and the second year's workload reflected that completely. 'Not even a week back and we have already been bombarded with homework already' moaned Alicia 'A four-foot essay on the properties of mugwort? I don't think I can write four sentences about the properties of mugwort.'

Angelina laughed 'Well, at least it is not due for another two weeks, and tomorrow is Saturday, so that means no class and Quidditch practice.' 

Alicia sighed 'Not even that is going to cheer me up Angelina.'

Alicia flopped herself down beside Emalia, who was sitting cross-legged on the couch in the common room, reading. She looked up when Alicia landed beside her, noting her friend's expression she closed her book and looked over at Angelina for an explanation.

'Too much homework' mouthed Angelina silently. 

Emalia nudged her friend gently 'I am going to the library tomorrow.' Angelina rolled her eyes and grinned at Emalia who smiled back 'Come with me and I'll help you with your essay.' Alicia threw her arms around Emalia and thanked her profusely causing Emalia and Angelina to laugh.

The door to the common room and in bound the Weasley twins and Lee who were laughing and wearing mischievous grins on their faces.

'What did you do?' asked Emalia. 

George feigned being hurt 'Oh Emalia, you wound me. We didn't do anything' Emalia raised an eyebrow; scepticism clear on her face.

Lee caved first 'We may or may not have put a load of dungbombs into various suits of armour on the second-floor corridor, and we may or may not have set them off.'