Chapter 28: Aven

Aven Potter looked at Albus Dumbledore, studying his features. It had been years since she had laid eyes on him, but he had not changed one bit. He was looking at her, completely bewildered, unable to grasp what was happening before him.

Aven smiled at him once again 'Albus, it is good to see you after all this time.' 

Albus smiled back at her and sat down beside her. The healers were watching what was unfolding in front of them carefully. 'Aven, how is this possible?' he asked as he watched her carefully.

Aven sighed and diverted her eyes back out the window 'It is a long story.' 

Albus reached forward and took her hand in his 'I will listen to it all without interruption.' She looked back at him and smiled weakly. 

'To tell you, I have to relive the worst night of my life.

Oliver had arrived back after ensuring his daughter's safety. Aven stood beside her husband, her wand at the ready. Her heart broken at the prospect of losing her daughter, of her daughter growing up without her.

She pushed those thoughts out of her head, there was no time to mourn for what could have been as it still could be. The alarms Oliver and Robert had set had been triggered, which meant it was only a matter of minutes until those who were after her brother-in-law and his family would reach their house.

It was quiet, too quiet. Until they heard a loud crack in the kitchen. Aven sent a stunning spell in that direction as two more Death Eaters appeared in the living room. Oliver and Robert were duelling them, flashes of blue, red and green illuminated the otherwise dark house.

Curses were flying, and as Aven returned with a spell of her own she saw Robert get hit with a killing curse, his body crumpled on the floor. 

'NO!' she cried out as she returned fire at the one who had killed him.

She spun around and saw her husband duelling two others as she took on the two Robert had been duelling. Pure rage and grief fuelled her duelling, but it made her become more unsteady and unpredictable.

In an instant, the Death Eaters had stunned Aven and disarmed Oliver.

'Tell us where they are and maybe we will give you a quick death' sneered the one with a rough voice.

'We will never tell you where they are Selwyn' roared Oliver. The other Death Eater laughed. 'Crucio' spat the man Oliver identified as Selwyn.

Oliver's screams echoed around the room as the torture curse was used on him repeatedly. Aven lay on the ground stunned, unable to move. Her heart breaking for her husband listening to his tortured screams and his ragged breath once Selwyn ceased using the curse.

She lay there willing herself to move, when she felt the stun spell beginning to wane. She moved her head slowly, to look at her husband while the Death Eaters were talking amongst themselves. His breathing was uneven, he looked dazed and there was blood running from his nose. He looked at her, his eyes boring into hers and she let her guard down.

Aven felt his presence in her mind, she could see the fractured images he was portraying into her mind. Images of their wedding, when they first met, when Emalia was born. The last one was a message.

'I love you, no matter what happens that will never change' his voice echoed in her mind 'Aven, if you get the opportunity to run, take it. Save yourself, go to Albus and find Emalia.' Aven looked at her husband, her blue eyes shining with tears and nodded gently.