Chapter 21: Christmas at Hogwarts

The weeks flew by and soon everyone was getting ready for Christmas. Emalia had been looking at different catalogues for the past few days trying to figure out what to get for Albus. She was hoping something would jump out at her, but right now there was nothing special. She was starting to worry, she never usually left present shopping this late. Although last year she had thought to buy Albus's present before she left for school. 

'Ugh!' she sighed in frustration, closing the catalogue. Fred and George looked up at her. 

'Alright there Em?' asked George.

Emalia nodded 'I just can't decide on what to buy Albus for Christmas.' 

George nodded knowingly 'Can't help you there I'm afraid Em, but if you're looking for something to get Fred for Christmas, I'm sure he wouldn't say no to a little kiss.' 

George then proceeded to make kissy faces at her. Emalia and Fred both turned bright red, and Fred shoved his brother off his seat onto the ground of the Great Hall. George was laughing and continued to do so from the ground. Emalia shook her head, but a smile appeared across her face. Fred tried to look annoyed at his brother, but he too was trying to supress a laugh.

'So, are you spending Christmas at Hogwarts?' asked Fred. 

'Yeah, I am. Are you heading home?' replied Emalia. A little part of her hoped that Fred would be at the castle over Christmas.

'Yeah we head home next week. Mum's been looking forward to it. She's convinced this year will be the last year everyone is going to be home for Christmas.' 

Fred's heart sunk a little, although he was looking forward to Christmas at the Burrow he did not like the idea of spending so much time away from Emalia. It made him feel uneasy. 

'Don't worry Em' called Alicia 'I'm sure you will find something for the Headmaster, and I think Jenny is staying her over Christmas. Her mum is going abroad for the holidays for work. She's a researcher for St. Mungo's'. 

Emalia let out a sigh of relief, at least there was a possibility that she would not be alone over the Christmas holidays.She resumed looking through the catalogue until she came across the perfect present. A giant smile spread across her face and she jumped out of her seat and rushed off to the Owlery. 

When she arrived in the Owlery, Griffin immediately swooped down to a perch in front of you. 'Hello, my handsome owl' she murmured stroking his feathers. He nipped her affectionally. 'I have a job for you, take this to Diagon Alley, it's very important Griffin and you are the only one for the job' The little owl hooted happily and stuck his leg out proudly waiting to undertake this very important journey. Emalia tied the letter to his leg and watched as he disappeared from sight.

The next week passed quickly, the second years were loaded with homework to do over the holidays despite their protests. Eventually it was time for those going home for the holidays to leave. Emalia said goodbye to her friends and wished them a Happy Christmas. 

Fred hung back a little from the rest of the group. 'Emalia, promise me you won't open this until Christmas morning.' He said as he handed her a small badly wrapped box. Emalia smiled brightly; she had not expected Fred to get her a gift. 

'I promise.' He gave her a quick hug as George called for him to hurry up.

As it turned out Jenny was not staying at Hogwarts for the holidays, she was spending Christmas with her Aunt in Edinburgh. Emalia decided that instead of moping now that she was by herself, she would go finish Albus's gift. It had been a bit of a rushed job, but Griffin had gotten her supplies. She rewarded him with some dead mice, and since she was in the dormitory by herself, she made a mental note to allow him to spend more time there.