Chapter 11

2016- Quinjet above the Atlantic

I sat in my chair beside Steve for what felt like the last time in a long while. I didn't know exactly when Wanda and I would come back but I knew it wouldn't be a short break. For once I didn't really have a plan, I was just free, kind of. After the events 2 days ago I started to feel more at ease, like this part of my past was now finished and I could move on, the weight I had been carrying for 50 years had finally been lifted. I found myself a part of an amazing team, I had become someone I actually liked in such a short amount of time and I owe it all to Steve for dragging my ass back into life.

If you were to ask me 2 months ago if I was planning on becoming an Avenger and accidentally having feelings for not 1 but 2 of them and Steve showing up at my front door would start all this, I would've told you; you're batshit crazy. But living in hiding wasn't helping anyone and this was, James would want this for me, he made that very clear in his video, it may not have been the way he thought but it was still a way.

"You really need to learn how to stop getting in here." Natasha said while pointing to my head as she stood beside me.

"Well, I'm hoping this vacation will help with that and besides, I'm thinking about positive things this time." I said with a smile.

"Good."

"Are you nervous about Russia?" I asked and Natasha's smile faded a little.

"More angry I think than anything, there's a lot that I didn't deal with when I left for good. I have to tie up some loose ends and such."

"I mean your family Nat, are you nervous to see them." I looked at her with a soft expression as she looked out the window of the quinjet not really making eye contact with me.

"Yeah, I am." she said honestly and I nodded.

"Like I said, if you need me to be there with you, call me." I said reaching into my pocket and sliding her a phone Steve had given me so that Natasha could reach me on the secure line. Natasha looked at me in surprise.

"I didn't think you were serious."

"Of course I am, maybe give me a couple weeks in Eze before you do though." I said with a laugh.

"But how would Wanda feel?" I looked back at the girl who was very asleep beside Sam who was also knocked out and I shook my head; she slept so much it was ridiculous.

"She's just along for the ride, she knows the gravity of our situation, but she also knows that when someone you care about deeply comes calling. You answer." I explained.

Natasha wrapped me in a hug that lasted a little longer than I thought it would but I didn't mind it. These people were the few people on earth I allowed to touch me and felt comfortable with it. Relishing in a hug was okay, especially if it was Natasha.

"I'll miss you." I whispered as she let go of me.

"If I need you, I'll call. I promise." she said and she moved back to her seat.

"I know you're going to France with Wanda but, I wouldn't forget about Nat if I were you, you guys make a great team." Steve spoke up and it was evident he was eavesdropping.

"Couldn't forget about her if I tried old man and a great team in what sense?" I asked and Steve smirked.

"In all ways."

I laughed and didn't say anything after that. Steve was very vocal about how he thought Natasha and I would be good together, I don't know if it was because maybe he thought Wanda was too young but the feelings I had for Wanda were different and I needed to explore that during this time away. All while trying to process my life, why did I think that was a good idea?