Chapter 24

A/N: Listen to Coney Island by Taylor Swift at 3 quarters of the way down the chapter.

2025- Avengers Compound: 2 Weeks until Battle Brooklyn

"Hey, what are you doing?" I asked the beautiful redhead who was currently playing around with some contraption but when I got closer I realized it was her gauntlet.

"Just making some modifications. Want to be prepared for what's coming, right?" I forced a smile onto my face as worry took over. Agatha's words replayed over and over in my head for a week. The fear of losing Natasha again was prominent.

"Right." I said and took a seat beside her.

"Something's on your mind." Natasha turned to me and I smiled weakly at her. I wanted to tell her what was weighing on my heart but I didn't want to be the kind of partner that was too protective. I knew Natasha could handle herself but I also knew what Wanda would do for her family which included killing the woman I love just so I could get off her back.

"Just how much I adore you, that's all." I smirked.

"As much as I would like to believe that, I know there's something else." Natasha pushed a little more and I sighed. I guess it wouldn't hurt to be honest.

"You know that I know you can take care of yourself right?" I asked and Natasha nodded.

"So would you be offended if I asked you to stay out of the Battle Brooklyn mission?" Natasha's eyes softened and she placed a comforting hand overtop of mine.

"No, I wouldn't be offended but you should also know that I wouldn't want you to go into this mission without me right by your side. We're in this together. Remember?" Natasha said quite calmly. More calmly than I thought she would react but I knew this was just her nice way of saying 'no fucking way am I sitting this out'.

"I remember, I just lost you once Nat, I don't wanna do it again." I whispered softly and Natasha leaned her forehead against mine.

"I'm not leaving you, ever. You're stuck with me, okay?"

"Promise?" I questioned and Natasha nodded.

"I promise."

Before anymore could be said Yelena barged into the lab and she looked distressed to say the least which worried me.

"Yelena?" I questioned and she looked to have been taking deep breaths before speaking.

"Natasha, I have to tell you something." Yelena spoke and I turned to the girl's older sister who was quirking her eyebrow at her. What was about to happen?

"This might be the absolute worst timing since we're going to go to war in 2 weeks but I thought you should know..." Yelena started and took another deep breath in the process. Oh shit, I knew what was coming.

"Yelena, now might not be-" I tried but the younger Russian cut me off.

"I'm dating Sam." I smacked my head with the palm of my hand and watched Natasha's eyes turn from curious to furious.

"I'm gonna kill him." Natasha said deadpan and shot out of her seat.

"Shit." I got up to follow her and so did Yelena.

"Natasha, no, that's-"

"Yelena he's like, 10 years older than you. He's basically like... an older brother?" Natasha said and I knew that was a poor excuse. Natasha just didn't like the fact that one of her good friends was sleeping with her little sister.

"Nat, I don't think that's a valid-"

"Julia is 149 years older than you!" Yelena fought back. I knew that one was coming as she cut me off.