1.8

The quartet sit in the holding van

"It was him. He looked right at me like he didn't even know me" Steve insists, "how's that even possible? It was like seventy years ago" Sam questions, "zola, bucky's whole unit was captured in '43, Zola experimented on him, whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall, they must have found him and..." steve explains, "none of that's your fault, Steve" nat reassures him, "even when I had nothing, I had Bucky" steve says, Sam notices Natasha is bleeding from her shoulder and looks at the guards, "we need to get a doctor here, we don't put pressure on that wound she's gonna bleed out here in the truck" sam warns suddenly one of the guards pulls out an electric rod and neutralizes the other guard and knocks him out, the guard is revealed to be Hill as she takes off her helmet.

"Ah. That thing was squeezing my brain" hill says. Sam looks at her in confusion, "who's this guy?" sam asks, "this is agent Maria Hill. Fury's right hand woman" anastasiya tells him.

Hill takes the foursome to a secret facility, a man runs towards them.

"GSW, She's lost at least a pint" Hill instructs the man, "maybe two" sam adds, "let me take her" the man says, "she'll want to see him first" Hill takes them to Fury who's alive and lying in a bed, the quartet look at him in shock. "About damn time" Fury says.

Later as Natasha's wound is being treated.

"Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, one hell of a headache" fury tells the group, "don't forget your collapsed lung" the doctor tells him, "oh, let's not forget that, otherwise, I'm good" fury says, "they cut you open, your heart stopped" nat says clearly struggling to understand how fury was still alive, "tetrodotoxin B slows the pulse to one beat a minute, Banner developed it for stress. didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it" fury explains, "why all the secrecy? why not just tell us?" steve asks, "any attempt on the director's life had to look successful" hill explains, "can't kill you if you're already dead, besides, I wasn't sure who to trust" fury looks at a picture of pierce "this man declined the Nobel Peace Prize, he said, peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility, see, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues" fury explains, "we have to stop the launch" nat says, "I don't think the council's accepting my calls anymore" fury opens a case containing three chips, "what's that?" Sam asks, "once the Helicarriers reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponized" hill tells him, "we need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own" fury tells the group, "one or two won't cut it, we need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational a whole lot of people are gonna die" hill explains, "we have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is hydra, we need to get pass them, insert the server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left" fury explains, "we're not salvaging anything, we're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down shield" Steve tells him, "shield had nothing to do with it" fury argues, "yeah you gave me this mission, this is how it ends, shield's been compromised, you said so yourself. hydra grew right under your nose and nobody noticed" steve explains, "why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed" fury says, "and how many paid the price before you did?" steve asks, "look, I didn't know about Barnes" fury defends himself, "even if you had, would you have told me? or would you have compartmentalized that too? shield, hydra, it all goes" steve argues again, "he's right" hill agrees.

Fury looks at Natasha then Sam then Anastasiya.

"Don't look at me, I do what he does, just slower" sam tells him, "well, looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain" fury tells steve.

Project Insight headquarters

A Tech opens the door coming face to face with Steve, Sam, Anastasiya and Hill on the other side of the door, Sam, Anastasiya and Hill point their guns at him.

"Excuse us" Steve says the tech holds his hands up and steps aside to let them enter, "attention, all shield agents, this is Steve Rogers, you've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down, but I think it's time you know the truth. shield is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by hydra, Alexander Pierce is their leader, the strike and Insight crew are hydra as well, I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building, they could be standing right next to you, they almost have what they want absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there, If you launch those Helicarriers today, hydra will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them, I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay, and if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not" steve says, "did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" Sam asks steve, "he probably wrote it when he went to steal the uniform" anastasiya remarks.