5. Gotta work this out

"Kellin?" Vic said as came through the door, in the sort of tone you would use when approaching a grouchy lion.

"Yeaaah?" I replied, leaning my head back over the sofa to see him.

We had been living together for a couple of days now , and were definitely used to always being around each other.

"I never did ask why...you didn't stay here on the first night." All his words tumbled out as if they had been cooped up a while. Oh shit.

Staying silent, I let my eyes settle on the wooden floor.

"So? Are you going to tell me...? I thought we agreed no secrets." He was trying to be stern, but I heard the slight tremble in his voice. It hit me like a bullet.

"I..." I started, "Well...I was just scared, I guess, all the responsibilities were just piling up on me."

"Is that all? Vic asked in a soft voice, sitting down on the arm of the chair next to me, "Why didn't you say?"

"It...wasn't just that. I saw, I mean, I thought I saw my dad on the way here and I freaked out and I couldnt bare to be somewhere we could be hurt by all the stupid noises that keep me up at night."

"Oh Kelly," he leaned down to hug me, then said, "There is no need to worry, your dad is gone and he's not coming back." He stated in a firm voice,"If anyone tries to hurt you I'll beat them up." Vic flexed his 'muscles.'

I raised an eyebrow.

"Well! Maybe we could hide in a cupboard or something I dunno!" He admitted defeat and flopped down across my lap in a position that looked pretty uncomfortable. "Are you okay now?" He mumbled, twisting his neck slightly.

"Yeah, I guess so," I mumbled smiling weakly "Still pretty anxious, but I'm probably getting some medication for it." I said. Letting out the slightly embarrassing information felt oddly good.

"Nice to see you on the mend after such a long time." Vic moved to sit on my lap and gave me a peck on the lips.

We both didn't have any lessons at college and had a rare day off work too, so we made the most of it, by curling up on the sofa and watching soppy films - with the odd bit of talking in between.

***

"Night babe." Vic mumbled in an adorable sleepy voice, putting his book down and turning of the light.

"Night night sleep tight." I replied and continued to internet the night away. My boyfriend slinked his arms around my waist and fell asleep on my shoulder almost instantly. Honestly. I don't know how he does it; it takes at least three hours of scrolling through every social media ever before I can even think about sleeping.

After an hour or so, I looked down to see Vic drooling all over my shoulder. Rolling my eyes, I thought about shoving him off, but didn't have the heart. Staring at his cute little face, occupied my time for a while, until a little red icon flashed on my laptop screen. Instantly, my eyes hooked onto the bright colour and I registered that I had received an email.

Despite the fact it was probably junk, I clicked on it so the annoying notification thing wouldn't bug me all night.

To: Mr. K. Quinn
From: Banco Popolare
RE: Your Inheritance

Dear Mr. Kellin Quinn

We are sorry to hear of your mothers recent passing.

What.

We were wondering if you are ready to transfer the money into your account.

Money?!

Banco Popolare sent a letter, but we beleive it was lost in the post, here are the details.

Mrs. Lisa Sylvester (previously Quinn)

She got remaried...

has left to Mr. Kellin Quinn, £20,000 in total, a well as her ranch and all of its workers. If it is suitable for Mr. Quinn he is able to travel to Italy and run the ranch there.

What the?!

We hope to see you soon, our condolences.

The Banco Popolare, Italy.

Panic set to work on my organs at once, dizzying me so much I slammed the laptop shut and threw it on the floor. This caused Vic to stir but I turned to stroke his hair with my quivering fingers. He settled again, I certainly didn't.

My mum is dead. I'm officially an orphan at the age of 20.

It's safe to say that night was sleepless.