11. Champagne for my new friends

After my phonecall with Vic, I felt alot better, but still quite bad about the whole spontaneously leaving thing.

Finally honest with myself, I realised I needed to go back to see my counsellor when I got home. Somehow, I'd never realised how difficult it is to let someone love you, or to love someone else, when you cant even love yourself. Admitting this felt good, though evoked a small wave of panic, because I thought I was better, but I knew that wasn't the case. Believe me, it's pretty terrifying.

My deep thoughts were interrupted by a loud thud that seemed to come from above me, along with some loud squeaking noises. Mice?! I didn't ask for this!

You would think my mum had a cleaner or something, obviously they didn't go in the attic...

To take my muddled mind of my problems, I decided to go have a walk around the grounds of the house, and tackle what to do about selling it, or keeping it.

After wandering down the spotless carpeted staircase, I found some sliding doors that lead out to the garden. A reasonably large patch of bright green grass was bordered by neatly trimmed hedges. There was a fancy looking fountain in the middle, but oddly, what really caught my eye, was a little arched wooden door hidden with in one of the hedges.

As a child, I was a pretty big fan of 'The Secret Garden" so I ran towards it an pushed it open. Sadly, I didn't see an overgrown beautiful hidden garden, but the sight that met my eyes was still pretty breath taking.

An enormous reddish brown building made of wood stood in front of me, bustling with activity. There were 'country' like people in bright clothing tending to what I presumed were crops all around, some people riding horses around and brushing them - there were even a few cattle here and there. I guess this is whats meant by a ranch then...

"Hey!" A loud, very enthusiastic voice yelled from my right, causing me to leap a metre or so away.

"Hi, I...uh...I didn't notice you there..." I mumbled timidly.

Turning my head to look at the person speaking to me, I saw a man in a pink flower patterned shirt and dark jean shorts. He had black hair the swept back over his head, but the occasional bit fell into his eyes.

"Whats your name?" He asked, sounding very excited; a big grin plastered on his face.

"Kellin." I say simply, watching his smile fade a little into confusion. Relising I probably sounded a bit rude, I added, "Whats yours?"

"Jack." he said, still sounding friendly, but the expression on his face looked like he wasn't sure what to do next. "...You look a bit like your mother now I think about it, sorry, I...I hope it doesn't hurt you too bad..."

What does he mean hurt..?

He looked uncomfortable.

Oh. My mum.

"Its okay, we...weren't that close." I added hastily. This seemed to relieve him of discomfort and he continued the conversation.

"So, how d'you like it round here, Kellin?"

"It's...pretty astonishing." I replied truthfully. This Jack guy was pretty easy to talk to, I didn't even feel that anxious talking to him.

"I know right? It gets a bit hectic at times, but its pretty great, you want me to show you around?" He asked.

I politely accepted, glad of some company. We looked around the stables, all the little rooms where people worked, and a few fields growing strange vegetables. On our way, I was introduced to Gabe who wore a red checkered shirt and blue jeans - he even had a hat like a cowboy!

By the time we had looked at everything, the sun was setting and I was laughing my new friends. Yes, you read correctly, me laughing, with new friends.

"Hey, do you wanna beer?" Jack asked when we were back at the main part of the ranch.

"Sure, why not?" I replied, and he delved into what I presumed was a cool box.

"Actually, we have something different in here today, how bout some champagne, eh? To celebrate Kellin's arrival!"

"And our new friendship!" Added Gabe with a chuckle.

A smile crept onto my face as I accepted the glass of bubbly liquid. I must admit, it did seem a little strange sitting on a bank with some guys I'd only met that day, drinking champagne, since they were definitely the sort of dudes that usually drank beer. Despite it's oddity, it was an enjoyable evening and I began to feel much happier than I had in a while.