13. May These Noises Startle You While You're Awake

Slowly I opened my eyes, I felt...happy. I had been trying to help at the ranch for a week or so wherever I could, though it wasn't much. I was surprised to find it was much more enjoyable than I had thought I would. Me and my new friends had swapped the champagne for beer on a few occaisions and it was just nice to be able to relax and have real friends that actually like me. Not to mention, Vic was getting more understanding and happy everyday, though our calls were getting fewer. He said he was super busy at the time, but called me at every oppertunity. If I was as paranoid as I have previously been, I would've though he was cheating on me, but I know he would do no such thing.

I glanced at the clock, as I did every morning, 8:23am. Wow early! Despite wanting to stay between the sheets, I counted to three, slowly of course, and eventually, through the dovet off of myself and leapt onto the thick blue carpet. Looking back at my bed longingly I walked firmly away from it, got stuff to do Kellin!

However, after taking just a few steps, my thoughts were interrupted with a loud thud...

Rats? Mice? No. It was simply too loud... I had been blaming the scuffles and scratchings echoing from above me on rodents for weeks, but hadn't bothered to investigate. To be honest, I'm not all keen on rats and mice, their tails just look like crusty worms and ugh.

Slowly, I went through my options: investigate alone and probably die, call the police and deal with the language barrier, wait to talk to one of the ranch workers, or ignore it.

Knowing it was probably a bad idea, I chose the latter.

Hurriedly I strolled down the stairs, with a slight feeling of unease, I went in search of cereal. I poured a bowl of the first thing I saw, which was some cornflakey thingy. Finishing the bowl in no time, I waited for a few minutes, considering going back upstairs to check out the loft.

What could it be...? A fox or something? How on earth could that get up there? Maybe it's just a really grumpy ghost...

The time oozed past like a particularly lazy slug, and I could stand sitting still no longer. Throwing back the chair I was sitting on, I got up and purposfully stomped up the stairs.

Mere seconds later, I was standing nervously under the loft hatch, listening to the eery creaks above me. The noises had never been this frequent or loud before.

After hopping from toe to toe for a few seconds, I bit the bullet, and leapt up to grab the the hook, which swung open dangerously, nearly bludgeoning me in the head. Dropping to the ground at lighting speed, I lay there breathing heavily for a moment. Soon after, I noticed that there was a device for opening the hatch in a neat box on the wall...that I hadn't used... Idiot.

Remembering what I was doing, I peered up into the gloom above me. What the hell am I doing?! Pausing for a moment I thought, it's not too late to stop. Another loud thud echoed from the hatch causing me to jump.

Taking a deep breath I seized the tool I had noticed moments before and yanked down the ladder. Once it was safely on the floor, I began to climb.

The rungs were cold on my bare feet, and, having reached the top, I realised there was no source of light. Aimlessly I flung my arms around in search of a light switch, and eventually found one.

(GORE WARNING, If you don't like gore, scroll on)

The sight that met my eyes made me fall backwards in shock, only just managing to cling onto the top of the ladder.

Congealed blood was smeared across the warped wooden floor, some thick and brownish, some a fresh, bright red: danger. Various dusty belongings were smashed and broken all over the place - this was clearly not the average storage place. Looking around in alarm, I saw deep groves in the wood, which looked as if they had been scratched into the splintering material.

Worst of all, in the middle of the room, was a woman, quietly weeping, perched lopsided on a broken chair.

Surveying her further, I saw bruises and cuts littered all over her body, and torn dirty clothes that hung limply off of her frail, bony, body. She looked as if she hadn't eaten in weeks. Her hands were tied behind her back to the chair, and her bare feet were bleeding as if she had repeatedly scraped them across the splintering floor.

Last of all, my eyes came to rest on her bewildered face, it took me a moment to register the familiar features but after a few heart wrenching seconds, I could see, that beneath the bruises and blood... It was my mother.