Behind The Smiles

Maeve

"What do you mean?" I sign.

"Walker." Trenton looks at him with a face of worry. "I've relived that moment everyday since that day. Please, let me grow."

Walker shakes his head. "I gotta go. My kids need me out there with them." he storms off.

Caden and Gray immediately huddle behind me and lead me inside.

Caused a little girls life?

I look up at Gray. "What did Walker mean by that?"

The boys look at each other.

Gray sighs and takes my hands. "Three years ago, it was around when Trenton just got his license and he decided to go to a big ass frat party. He got fucked up and drove himself home, being selfish." he states and my heart drops, knowing where this is going. "A mother and her little girl were on their way back from the girls dance recital and just so happened to bump into Trenton. Trenton swerved from his lane and hit the family's car that rolled down a bank. The little girl, Megan, didn't make it."

I stand there, shocked.

"He was only charged for a DUI. Got his license taken and he just got back into boxing apparently." Caden adds on.

"That's horrible." I frown.

"Agreed." they both say in unison.

We all agree to just sit down and watch the boy's fights like nothing ever happened.

For the kids sakes.

**

"YES YES!!" the boys get into the car, shouting in excitement.

"YOU GOT TROPHIES! I TOLD YOU!" Walker puts his hand out for high fives. "I'm so proud of you both! You killed it!"

"THANKS COACH!" they exclaim.

I look at them and smile, giving them a round of applause.

They thank me.

I look up at Walker and see him starting the car to get going.

I smile, watching him.

He's such a pure soul.

So much love in him, but I've also just seen a side I never knew Walker had.

Anger.

He's always been so happy, preppy, loving, but he holds so much behind all that. He really is protective and cares for others.

That's someone so perfect to me.

Someone that I can trust.

I never would've thought to trust another man until I got to know this boy. He's been such a sweetheart and has proved to me in such a little time that he's trustworthy.

Here to stay.

He turns to me. "Hey." he smiles before looking back at the road.

I hold his free hand, causing him to smile ear to ear.

He holds mine.

We get back to the hotel where everyone separates.

The boys and I get into our room and take showers instantly one after the other.

"You okay?" Gray walks outside the balcony with Walker and closes the door behind them.

I look at Caden.

"Wanna play a game?" he looks at me with a distracting smile. I nod. "Okay. What number am I thinking of? One to ten!" he chuckles, making me smile and hold up seven fingers. "So close!! Two!"

I drop my jaw. "Not even close!"

He laughs. "Your go!" he waits for me until I nod. "Four?" he questions and I excitedly nod. "YES! PRO!"

"What're you guys doing?" Walker comes back inside with Gray.

"Just some boredom games." Caden yawns. "I'm getting exhausted. I'm gonna hit the hay." he jumps into his bed next to mine and Walkers.

"You know what... me too. We have a long drive tomorrow so I'm gonna pass. Night guys!" Gray says like he's leaving, but really just gonna go cuddle up with Caden.

Walker chuckles. "Y'all gonna cuddle?" he reads my mind.

"NO!" the boys go to the edge of the bed away from each other.

Walker and I chuckle and get into our own bed.

I look at him. "Is everything okay?"

He nods. "It's just the void of anger at him. The fact he can keep competing. I hate it so much and it's not fair to the family that was impacted. I hate him so fucking much."

"There's nothing we can do. Maybe one day people will open their eyes and realize he's not as innocent as he seems."

"They told you?"

"Yes... and I'm so so sorry. Feeling helpless sucks so much, but the best we can do is let time take its course. Like for me, I was giving up but I met you! You changed my life, Walker." I smile.

"Thank you, Mae. Meeting you has been so amazing and I'm glad we became so close and you trust me. I may not show it, but it means a lot to me. You're turning into an amazing woman, love. I'm proud of you." he tugs a strand of my hair behind my ear.

I smile. "Thank you."

"Anytime. You're exhausted, get some sleep." he says softly.

I cling to his side.

That's all I can do.

He makes me feel so protected without even knowing.

He wraps his arm around me and I peacefully fall asleep into his arms.

Walker would never have the same feelings I have for him, for me. But boy can a girl dream! He's a huge athlete!

Oh he could get anyone!

Seeing him with his students, his family, his friends... he's so precious.

Protect this boy at all costs!

I feel a strong connection with him and it's crazy to say that because we've only known each other for a month!

To me, it's a huge sign of recovery that I can trust these guys. Of course I love Caden and Gray as well! But I have a soft spot in my heart for Walker.

Something about him.

I wish I could tell him.

Tell him with my voice and not my hands.