Fear

Walker

"Look at the bird!" Caden exclaims.

"So pretty!" Maeve signs.

I smile and unfortunately, the bird then flies into the windshield.

We all scrunch our lips up.

"Well then." Gray itches behind his neck.

I turn to Maeve and see her looking at the prison we're by.

"You totally just missed the bird end himself!" I laugh, wiggling her.

"That's the prison my dad is at." she turns to me.

I gulp. "Let's not think about that, yeah? We're about to pull into the gym and you can take all your anger out on the bags."

"Yeah... I guess so." she doesn't look me in the eyes.

"I'm here for you, love. All of us are. Nothing is gonna happen to you and I can promise you that. We're never gonna leave you or let anything happen. Please, never be afraid." I pull her into my side, rubbing her arm.

Caden pulls into the gym and I look down.

"Everything will be alright, I promise." Gray smiles.

"We're here for you." Caden parks, turning himself to the backseat and holding her hand.

Gray takes her other hand.

We all hug all, staying there for about five minutes before she feels like going inside.

I walk next to her and see all the guys working out today since it's a Monday, so I turn to Mae. "Why don't you join my class tonight?"

She looks up at me. "Your kids will make fun of me."

I chuckle, shaking my head. "We've been friends for seven months now! You know my students, you know how much they love you. They'd never make fun of you. I just don't want you alone today."

"If not, we'll work out with you." Caden and Gray walk over to us.

"I want to be alone right now." she storms off into the bathroom.

"What did she sign?" Caden whispers

I go to run after her, but I can't.

It's the women's bathroom and I see all my students coming in. "Keep an eye on her, yeah? I gotta teach."

"We will." they say at the same time and walk over, guarding the women's bathroom, making me playfully roll my eyes.

"Hey coach!"

"Sup!"

"Hey hey hey! What's going on?" I greet my kids and see another teenager walk in. "Yoooo. What's good?"

 What's good?"

"Hey." he smiles.

"I'm Walker, I'm the owner of the gym and the boxing coach!" I fist bump him.

He nods. "I'm Trigger."

"Bro! Badass name!!" I pat his back and he smiles at me. "Have you boxed before?"

He shakes his head. "No sir. I'd like to eventually compete though."

I go to speak, but then a woman comes in. "Trigger, go on." she shoo's him away to the other guys.

I look at her with a face of disgust. "Wha—"

"I'm Sonna. Look, Trigger has been getting into numerous fights at school and I expect him to benefit from your class and quit the fights at school to let it all out here on your other students." she says sternly.

I look at her and laugh. "You're joking right?"

"Does it look like I am?" she raises an eyebrow.

"Look ma'am—"

"I expect a change." ahe storms off.

"Mofo—"

"Coach!" Alexander calls out.

I scoff at the woman and walk over to my kids.

"Everyone start your warm ups. Chop chop!" I clap and they all get in the ring.

I notice Trigger alone while all the others have fun together and laugh, so I get in the ring next to him. "School fights, huh?"

"It's not as my mother makes it. I just don't put up with shit or others bullying others." he makes known.

I shake my head. "Oh no, I know it ain't how your mother makes it. Comes into my gym and—"

"Bosses you around? Yeah. Don't listen to her. She's delusional, but she wants the best for me I guess." he starts push ups.

I sigh.

Once we all do our stretching, they all wrap up and I help Trigger wrap his hands and learn his stance.

He's a southpaw!

Cool!

Meaning, he's a lefty.

Class goes as normal and everyones now on the bags.

Though, I wanna get to know Trigger more.

"Trigg!" I call out and he looks at me. "Come on, let's do mitts."

"Yes sir." he walks over and jump in the ring.

"Stance is looking great! Southpaw... you're everyones enemy!" I laugh, cracking a laugh out of him as well. "Right hand." I hold my mitt up.

We go back and forth and this kid looks like he's been boxing all his life!

"You wanna compete, huh?" I put down the mitts.

"Yes sir."

"Your mom gonna let you?"

"Probably. It's something she wants me to do, so I don't see an issue." he replies.

I nod. "I can tell you'll be ready soon." I pause. "Lets aim for the next match in two months. Wednesday and Friday as my usual sparring days so I'll spar you first then pair you with one of my kids."

"Sounds great."

"You gonna try to fight with us?!" Jacob walks over.

Trigger looks at him. "Probably."

"This is Jacob and over there is Liam. These are my active fighting students as of now, I'm trying to get my others ready." I say.

Trigger nods and pushes his eyebrows together in concern. "Is that girl okay?"

I turn around and see Caden and Gray comforting a crying Mae. "I'll be right back." I jump off the ring and jog over. "What's going on?"

"I think it's best we take her home." Gray frowns.

I clench my jaw.

**

"Here's a milkshake." I place the cold drink in her hands. She sadly smiles. "What's going on?" I rub her back and she hands me her phone, showing me text messages between her and her mom.

Mommy 💚 :
Ralph escaped prison today and currently staying with Stephanie... I'd advise you to come home or stay with the boys, I don't want you to be alone.

I try to form words and look at her terrified face.

So many words, but nothing can come out.

"We're here for you." Caden and Gray hold her.

I frown.