Impossible

His finger tapped on the side of his cup as he apprehensively glanced out of the window onto the busy street. He reached a hand to tug at the tight collar of his damp button-up shirt. He was at a loss right now.

The last thing he remembered was flying through the air towards a hoarse of titans, but in the middle of his trip down the wall, his vision went completely black. Next thing he knew, he was standing in the middle of a street— loud, metal vehicles swerving around him. Unnatural light shone on the strange pavement through the night sky. The only familiar thing was the rain.

The few seconds he stood there felt like an eternity as he tried to take in everything he was seeing, but it was all cut short when a woman practically tackled him out of the way of one of the self-moving metal carriages.

She moved her soaked hair out of her eyes, one hand still connected to his. "What were you doing standing in the middle of the street, you idiot? The walk signal wasn't even on! Are you trying to get hit by a car?"

His shock made him ignore her harsh tone, which normally would have him responding with his usual sour attitude. He was too confused to be rude right now.

"A... car?"

She let go of his hand. "Did you hit your head while I was pulling you out of there? Are you saying you don't know what a car is?"

He glanced back at the street, the vehicles he now assumed to be 'cars' still roaring past. "I've never seen those before. Or... any of this." He lifted a hand to his face. "I was just with my comrades... how did I get here?"

"Hey, buddy, I don't know where you're from, but this is Chicago, and you can't just stand in the middle of Michigan Avenue. Are you a tourist?"

"I've never heard of Chicago."

"You've never heard of the third-highest populated city in the U.S?"

"U...S?" Levi was starting to get frustrated. Was this lady messing with him for shits and giggles?

Her eyes grew wide and she pulled him farther away from the street, towards a bench near the stairs leading to the park. He sat down on the bench and she stood in front of him, still hesitant to get comfortable around this stranger. He did look familiar to her for some reason... the cool gray eyes, the black hair...

She was getting distracted.

"Where are you from, sir?"

His eyes were fixated on a puddle on the ground. Looking around at anything else was too overwhelming to take in.

"I was in Trost. All my comrades were there..."

"Did you just say Trost?"

"Yes, do you know the way back there?"

She was silent, holding her breath.

He lifted his eyes to hers and spoke again. "Lady, do you know how I can get back to Trost?"

Her breath hitched. "Sir... what is your name?"

He leaned back and glared. "Tch, why should I tell you?"

She blinked. "You... you're... no. It can't be. That's insane. You're not him, are you? That would be completely impossible. Unless..."

"What the hell are you rambling about? Do you know me?"

She stepped closer to him. "We haven't met, but I think I know who you are. I need you to say it, first, though. Please tell me your name, sir."

He raised an eyebrow. "It's Levi."