Family

The next two weeks practically flew by- each day, Levi spent almost every waking hour cleaning or researching his own name, also bothering to look up every name he knew from back in his reality. His own name was the only one with conclusive results, though.

(Y/N), though interested in his plight, found herself more inclined to relax and listen to his summarized conclusions by the end of his day of research. Sometimes it felt more like she was with Hange rather than Levi.

She still couldn't get over how funny it was that he was a captain in this reality as well. Though it may not matter, since he can't remember any of it.

How fitting for him to choose to labor in the sky, up where he couldn't have ever dreamed of being before. It was also a nice detail how he affectionately nicknamed his most-used aircraft the "Wings of Freedom." It was just like Levi to do something unorthodox, not fearing what anyone else thought, not bound by the limitations of social norms.

This morning, Levi was thoroughly invested in an article about different types of landing gear when (Y/N) cleared her throat.

He glanced up from the screen, then straightened up after noticing how badly his back had been hunched over. "Yes?"

"Today's Thursday."

"Ah." He leaned back in his chair.

"So..."

"Do you want me to finish your sentence or wait for you to find your brains?"

"Very funny, Levi. I wanted to say I think you should come with me tonight. We can spend this morning straightening out everything that's okay to talk about, and then hopefully things will go over well." She said, tapping her finger with her chin.

He glared at her. "What is this, an interview?"

Suddenly she felt a bit guilty. "Kind of..."

He sighed and slapped his hands onto his thighs before standing up. "Look. I'm not gonna lie- if your parents don't like me, I don't give a damn." He closed his eyes. "That said, since they're your parents and they care about you, I will respect their opinions of me. From the way you talk about them, I can tell they'd only do something if they believed it was in your best interest. But when it comes down to it, the most important opinions to me are yours and mine. Anything else is secondary."

He stared into her eyes, waiting for a response. When there was none, he continued. "I'm not going to hide myself to please someone. I'm sure you understand that about me."

Finally, she spoke. "I'm so sorry, Levi, I didn't mean to make it sound like I wanted you to hide yourself... I just don't want to freak out my parents. I don't know how they'll react to all of this. But I believe with everything that once we get over that uncomfortable first meeting that they're going to love you."

He looked into her eyes. "Okay. Then let's figure it all out."

They spent the remainder of the morning deciding what information they should and should not divulge to (Y/N)'s parents. There would be no mention of Attack on Titan, no mention of Levi's backstory other than what one can look up on the internet, and definitely no mention of their jumping between realities.

The one thing they could talk about was Levi's apparent memory loss and previous occupation. If (Y/N)'s parents were up on the news, they may notice his identity.

Every few minutes (Y/N)'s guilt had eaten too far into her, and she needed to ask Levi if he was okay with everything. His constant reassurance gave her confidence.

Then it was time for the dreaded phone call. The one where (Y/N) would have to tell her parents she's bringing a man home. She hasn't had any kind of romantic relationship since high school- and that's so far away now it felt like it barely counted. Now that she's an adult with a job and a life of her own, she has no idea how her parents will react.