Restoration

The two were shocked still in the woods, hands to their foreheads. They locked eyes.

"Did you..."

"Yeah."

Images flashed through (Y/N)'s brain.

Her parents in Ragako village.

Joining the Training Corps and working under Commander Shadis.

Joining the Survey Corps and meeting Levi for the first time...

~

It was a cool November night when (Y/N) arrived at the headquarters. It had been two years since Wall Maria was taken by the titans, and she was ready to join the cause and fight back. (Y/N) had been blessed with physical strength, and when she considered joining the military, she was met with nothing but support from the whole town.

Now that she had completed the training and joined the Scouts, her mission could finally begin.

She would kill as many titans as her body allows. She had worked tirelessly for the chance to bring them down.

Her determination had garnered some attention from the higher-ups- Erwin Smith was impressed with not only her skill, but also her resolve. Hange's heart was taken with (Y/N) after day one, since she actually had the patience to listen to the madwoman's rants about titans. And Captain Levi had even taken a liking to her.

When they met for the first time, Levi had found her cleaning the girl's barracks. Most of the other cadets left the room in shambles, but (Y/N) felt the need to take it upon herself to tidy up. Levi had actually arrived there to do just that, but when he found that she had already done the deed, he was quite pleasantly surprised. He didn't shy away from inspecting her work, though, scrutinizing each detail as he saw fit.

They ran into each other a few times in that context before Levi invited her to have tea with him. That sparked a beautiful friendship- one that on the outside seemed completely platonic. Neither participant acknowledged the growing romantic feelings for the other. It would remain a secret for a while.

After a year of diligent work as a run-of-the-mill soldier, (Y/N) was promoted to Levi squad, at the request of the captain himself. She was thrilled to work alongside her friends and comrades, and grew even closer to the captain that she so admired.

It was on an expedition shortly after she joined his squad that they finally had to come to terms with their feelings for each other.

Levi landed on a rooftop of an abandoned village, one that had been ransacked by titans years ago. "Where is (Y/N)?" He questioned his squad.

Oluo was breathing heavily, having just landed as well. "She was... in the forest... right behind us. There was a 15-meter, and she yelled at us to move forward..."

"I'm going back for her." Levi announced.

"Captain!" Petra placed a hand on his shoulder as he turned away. "Think! She's probably already gone..." She whimpered as tears pricked her eyes.

"I know (Y/N). She'd better be alive. That idiot refuses to die. I'm going."

And before anyone else could argue with him, he was off.

The captain swung through the trees at unparalleled speed, eyes scanning the forest floor and the tree limbs for any sign of his squad member.

"Eat it, titan scum!" Cried a voice to his right. His eyes immediately snapped towards the noise, and he changed his trajectory.

"Take my arm! Take my leg! I'm not losing to you!" She yelled furiously, slashing titan's napes. The sight of her made something snap inside Levi. It was like he could only see red at the scene unfolding before him. He felt a deep instinct inside of him screaming at him to protect (Y/N) at any cost. He sped towards her with everything he had.